Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AJA:AJA io ForumAJA Kona ForumAJA Xena ForumAJA io TutorialsAJA Kona TutorialsAJA Xena TutorialsAJA

Text "Ghosting" in 525 Letterbox Downconvert

COW Forums : Sony SRW Decks

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
David BrierText "Ghosting" in 525 Letterbox Downconvert
by on Jul 8, 2008 at 6:12:15 pm

So I've got a 1080i, 29.97 sequence that I need to downconvert to an SD, letterboxed version for D-Beta mastering. However, on output, I am noticing some ghosting or outlines around the edges of the text in the graphic bug. In HD, it's as clean as it was intended, so I am wondering if a) this is to be expected of the Kona 3 card, b) if I have the control panel settings wrong, or c) if this is just something inherent in the downconversion process that is more noticeable in the graphics (the SRW-5800 deck's letterboxed output is actually softer than the Kona's).

Here's my set-up:
FCP 6.0.4/ 1080i 2997 8-bit easy set-up/ ETT from a 1080i 2997 8-bit sequence
to...
Kona 3/ 1080i 2997 Frame Buffer/ SDI 1 Primary (1080i 2997)/ SDI 2 Secondary (525i 2997 feeding the D-Beta deck)
Reference to Kona is 1080i 2997 (although I tried 525 as well)

David Brier | Post-Op Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Aaron NeitzRe: Text "Ghosting" in 525 Letterbox Downconvert
by on Jul 8, 2008 at 6:30:59 pm

There was a thread about this same problem a couple months ago. I'll see if I can find it.

They're probably high contrast/primary color graphics? Just a slight 1 pixelish kinda ringing edge? Then yep - we've confirmed you're seeing artifacts from the Kona downconvert.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 8, 2008 at 6:34:23 pm

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/98/869392#869417

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David BrierRe: Text "Ghosting" in 525 Letterbox Downconvert
by on Jul 8, 2008 at 7:10:43 pm

Yes, that's what I was afraid of. I think it's a contrast thing, and the downconversion process is not able to sample the color differences as precisely. There is also a small (maybe 1 or 2 pixel) stroke around the edges of the text that might be amplifying this (not my graphics). But like I said, it's still much crisper than the SRW-5800 deck's letterbox output, which I would describe as "a bit soft". I usually prefer to re-title for SD anyway, so that I can re-position, and even increase the size of text where needed.

Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 8, 2008 at 10:27:47 pm

Somewhere in the HDCAM deck are some options for downconversion. I think they have a "soft" "regular" and "crisp" sort of option.... never used it though. Might be worth a gander?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David BrierRe: Text "Ghosting" in 525 Letterbox Downconvert
by on Jul 9, 2008 at 1:15:50 pm

Hey thanks for the tip! We just took delivery of the deck, and there's definitely a steep learning curve. I'll let everyone know if I make any breakthroughs with the ghosting issues.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]