Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AJA:AJA io ForumAJA Kona ForumAJA Xena ForumAJA io TutorialsAJA Kona TutorialsAJA Xena TutorialsAJA

Final Touch HD monitor

COW Forums : AJA Kona - Mac

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Chris McGuinnessFinal Touch HD monitor
by on Apr 27, 2006 at 5:29:26 pm

I'm just finishing a 35mm feature film... the process is Dual sync transfer to DVCAM and HDCAM... orginally I was not going to do the onlining and color correction however things have changed and now I will likely be doing this process... I am going to buy Final Touch HD and need a monitor... I was thinking of going with the JVC DT-V1910CG and color correctiong via AJA KONA's component analog HD... I've done some back search in the forum, but have not seen this monitor mentioned... the place that would have done the color corrections had this monitor...

The film will be finished on 23.98 HDCAM... if they go back to film it will be from the HDCAM master...

I'm planning on purchasing a Huge system MediaVault 4110 for the onlining, any thoughts on that also?

I have a DUAL 2.3 G5 with KONA 2/w breakout and 4 GB of RAM...

I really appreciate any thoughts...

thank you,

chris mcguinness

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob ZelinRe: Final Touch HD monitor
by on Apr 27, 2006 at 6:04:53 pm

this is not a criticism, just an observation. I did not see ONE JVC DT-V
series monitor at ANYONE's booth at NAB other than JVC. I did see LOTS of the Panasonic BT-LH series monitors (both 17 and 26") but I am not saying that this is a critical color correction monitor.

I am anxious to see other peoples opinions.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris McGuinnessRe: Final Touch HD monitor
by on Apr 27, 2006 at 6:27:06 pm

I saw a lot of LCD monitors at booths at NAB... I've heard that's not the way to go, but it sure looks as if that's the way it's going...

chris

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David BattistellaRe: Final Touch HD monitor
by on Apr 27, 2006 at 8:11:35 pm

Is there a facility with a Christie Projector in your nieghbourhood.

More and more people here in toronto are doing critical correction to Christie projectors that have bee calibrated to emulate the print.

I know of two houses here that have allowed people to set up their macs an feed teh CHristie to do the final CC. This seems to be the way to get the closest results to what the film print will look like.

I recently went through this on a commercial I was working on. Just a thought.

Up to that point I was using a JVC CRT and it was not to far off the final files.

David

Peace and Love :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 27, 2006 at 9:53:28 pm

Interesting info... I don't know anyone who has a Christie Projector... and in LA rental would be costly... it's a low budget film and the budget is near it's end, that's why I'm trying to find an acceptable solution that will be useful to me in the future... what JVC did you use?

thank you,

chris

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 27, 2006 at 10:46:29 pm

THis one.

They do not make it anymore.

http://www.jvcpro.co.uk/item/index_html?item=DT-V1700CG

David

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 27, 2006 at 10:54:51 pm

thanks David... I'm hoping to hear some other opinions and see how others feel...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff LessardRe: Final Touch HD monitor
by on Apr 28, 2006 at 2:41:13 pm

Hi Chris,

On 3 of our 4 FCP stations we use JVC monitors. 2 for SD (TM-H1750CG) with Kona 2 and Dexklink Extreme and 1 for HD (JVC DT-V1710CGU) with Kona LHe. They have been very accurate for CC. Just make sure all the settings match your system specs.

bye,

Jeff

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 28, 2006 at 5:46:21 pm

good to hear...

thank you

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

walter biscardiRe: Final Touch HD monitor
by on Apr 28, 2006 at 3:41:52 am

[Bob Zelin] "I did see LOTS of the Panasonic BT-LH series monitors (both 17 and 26") but I am not saying that this is a critical color correction monitor.

I am anxious to see other peoples opinions."

Bob, even my Panasonic Rep told me that this is considered a good "editing" monitor, but should not be used for critical color correction. It's just not there yet for CC and after seeing it, I agree. Pretty picture and great to edit with, but not for CC.

See if you can still find a 14" Sony PVM L5/1 monitor out there. They are still there. The 20" models are only available in B-Stock now. The 20" and 14" are what we're using here with Final Touch and color correction in general. I'm ordering a control panel for Final Touch next week and can't wait to start using that instead of the tablet.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com

Director, "The Rough Cut"
http://www.theroughcutmovie.com

Now Posting "Good Eats" in HD for the Food Network

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 28, 2006 at 5:44:46 pm

Hey Walter,

Thanks for your info... my friend has a couple questions about the Sony 14 inch as I was looking at it on BH's web site...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&...

"As for the monitor, I

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

JeremyGRe: Final Touch HD monitor
by on Apr 28, 2006 at 6:29:36 pm

The analog HD is in fact HD displayed at 800 lines, it won't convert to Sd first. There's no reason to buy the HD-SDi card, unless you need to buy the HD-SDI card. I have the 20" version and it works splendidly. I had to rent one for an on site gig once that was fully populated, and I could not tell a lick of difference between the HD-SDi and Hd analog component. It's truly an awesome monitor for the price.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 29, 2006 at 7:10:47 am

Hey Jeremy,

Thanks for you info... it has really helped me make a more comfortable decision

regards,

chris

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 28, 2006 at 7:06:43 pm

[Chris McGuinness] ""As for the monitor, I

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 29, 2006 at 7:11:50 am

Hey Walter,

I really appreciate your time, I feel much better about my purchases now... and saving some money :)

regards,

chris

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

DeadheadRe: Final Touch HD monitor
by on Apr 30, 2006 at 7:31:31 pm

BTW I just got a front projector- the Samsung sp-H710AE projector designed by Jon Kane.

It is designed to emulate SMPTE-C and HD color space - I have yet to compare

it to my PVM20L5/1 - but I will report back.

I have alot of experience with projectors and this is the best one I have ever seen- tons

of shadow detail - though the black level is not at CRT levels.

Last year this unit (labeled as the H700) used to retail for over $10,000 - since 1080P units

have come out at that price - The 710 now sells for around $3000 -

I plan on doing some FInal Touch on it soon.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 30, 2006 at 8:10:59 pm

[Deadhead] "It is designed to emulate SMPTE-C and HD color space - I have yet to compare

it to my PVM20L5/1 - but I will report back."

I will be very interested to hear back on that. But here's the real question. If you didn't have the PVM20L5/1 would you be able to trust it as a stand alone CC monitor? I haven't seen anything, including my Panny plasma, that I would trust wholly on its own without my PVM.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com

Director, "The Rough Cut"
http://www.theroughcutmovie.com

Now Posting "Good Eats" in HD for the Food Network

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 30, 2006 at 11:20:44 pm

Walter,

I agree that there needs to be a critical CRT for broadcast work, but for film finishes Projectors are a good way to go.

The reason people are bringing raids and Macs into theaters with Christie Digital projectors is because that is the same brand of projector found in most theaters with Digital projection.

Thes very high end projectors can display the dynamic range of the cineon color space and are as close as it gets to what a 35mm print will look like.

The CRT is still the way to go for broadcast work but the beauty of a setup witha raid and a Kona card is that you can feed the HD-sdi output directly to a Christie, very very pristine and accurate images.

So for film finishes it is nice that these options are now out there.

David

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

DeadheadRe: Final Touch HD monitor
by on May 1, 2006 at 4:00:33 pm

slightly off topic -

I have been wanting a good monitor for my HVX200 HD camera, and was tracking a used PVM 14L5 on ebay that ended up going for over $1000 yesterday.

Luckily before bidding - I did an exhaustive web search and found a place in Texas selling a brand new 14L5/1 that had been out of the box for a few hours for a demo for $1000 that I just order this morning. the 20L5 I have in my edit suit is too big to bring on set (and too valuable to transport since you can't get them), but the 14" seems perfect. AT least I won't have to deal with an LCD on set for a few years till they are perfected - or some other display technology come about.

Also I'll be able to easily drag that into my living room to compare it to the Samsung SMPTE C projector I mentioned above. Should be an intersting comparison.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]