Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AJA:AJA io ForumAJA Kona ForumAJA Xena ForumAJA io TutorialsAJA Kona TutorialsAJA Xena TutorialsAJA

Kona 3 and Xraid

COW Forums : AJA Kona - Mac

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
saulmetnickKona 3 and Xraid
by on Apr 25, 2006 at 12:04:40 am

Hello,

we are looking into setting up an editing station using a quad core mac and a Kona 3 w/breakout box. We are planning on getting an Xraid with 7X500gb drives. Or were planning, until someone said that we may need to get either 14X250gb or 14X500gb as the Kona needs all 14 drives in the raid to write uncompressed. Is there any consensus on this, or is it a non issue?

Thank you in advnace for your help in this matter,

-saul m

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

uncompressedRe: Kona 3 and Xraid
by on Apr 25, 2006 at 12:34:46 am

dude, if you plan on doing uncompressed HD, fully populate that Raid.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

JeremyGRe: Kona 3 and Xraid
by on Apr 25, 2006 at 3:36:52 am

Just curious, why XRaid? You are planning uncompressed HD I take it?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

saulmetnickRe: Kona 3 and Xraid
by on Apr 25, 2006 at 3:18:59 pm

We are planning to have the option for that. A lot of work will be done for web, but we'll need to have the option to deliver at uncomp. HD.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

JeremyGRe: Kona 3 and Xraid
by on Apr 25, 2006 at 3:45:12 pm

Well, there are plenty of other options out there that will give you more bang for your buck. I'd give Huge Systems and Medea a look for price and performance. One fully populated Xserve is barley enough. Plus, the support from Huge Systems (I have one of their raids) is great.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sam ZimmanRe: Kona 3 and Xraid
by on Apr 27, 2006 at 4:57:11 pm

i work on an Xraid with 8 250GB drives striped in a RAID5+0 and it's fast enough to do 1080 10bit. i've only ever captured footage and layed off graphic element reels at that resolution, but um yeah it works. even for SD I would buy the extra drive and do a RAID5+0. there is a significant speed increase.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]