Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AJA:AJA io ForumAJA Kona ForumAJA Xena ForumAJA io TutorialsAJA Kona TutorialsAJA Xena TutorialsAJA

.mov different on PC than Mac?! AJA 525 codec to blame?

COW Forums : AJA Kona - Mac

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
AJPME.mov different on PC than Mac?! AJA 525 codec to blame?
by on Nov 19, 2005 at 1:26:33 am

I captured footage from Beta SP using the "AJA 525 29.97 DV" settings. I then exported this to a quicktime and transferred to a PC. The file looks great in Quicktime on the Mac, but when played back on Quicktime 7 on the PC there is extra noise created by compression artifacts. I thought maybe it was a codec issue, so I installed the AJA codec for PC program. That didn't help either so I reexported via Quicktime conversion to the "DV NTSC 48k" codec. Again it looked great on the Mac and extra compressed on the PC. Anyone know why???

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

weevie833Re: .mov different on PC than Mac?! AJA 525 codec to blame?
by on Nov 19, 2005 at 1:49:49 am

If you don't really need to export, don't. Just take the original QT media on your media drive and use that. If you need to assemble or edit your captured media first before exporting, use the export dialog and choose Quicktime Movie, NOT Quicktime Conversion. By choosing Quicktime in export, you will be exporting in the native compression rate of your project as a clone. If you still get artifacts from this, then I dunno...

steve covello
double wide post

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Fred Connors Jr.Re: .mov different on PC than Mac?! AJA 525 codec to blame?
by on Nov 20, 2005 at 6:04:45 pm

Check the quality setting of the playback on the PC. I believe it is under movie properties. Make sure high quality is checked.

The file should look the same on both the mac and pc, except for monitors setting of course.

And the AJA codec is meaningless if you have converted the file to DVNTSC codec.

Fred

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

gary adcockRe: .mov different on PC than Mac?! AJA 525 codec to blame?
by on Nov 19, 2005 at 12:22:12 pm

[AJPME] "That didn't help either so I reexported via Quicktime conversion to the "DV NTSC 48k" codec. Again it looked great on the Mac and extra compressed on the PC. Anyone know why"

I agree with Steve, if you are using AJA's windows codec, it should be able to see the QT file correctly.

But to answer your question, you could be seeing a reversed field issue, but most likely the difference between how the 2 operating systems screen "rendering intent" is different. The Gamma of your Mac display is 1.8 and your PC diplays gamma is normally 2.2

The 2 images should look the same on a NTSC / PAL Television however

Gary Adcock
Studio37
HD and Film Consultation
Chicago, IL USA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy