Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AJA:AJA io ForumAJA Kona ForumAJA Xena ForumAJA io TutorialsAJA Kona TutorialsAJA Xena TutorialsAJA

Color Correction Monitor

COW Forums : AJA Kona - Mac

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
C-MacColor Correction Monitor
by on Sep 30, 2005 at 6:58:54 pm

I'm going to make the jump to a Kona 2 card from a Decklink HD can anyone recomend a good CRT HDTV monitor and pci board that can be effective for color correction work?

I'd like to keep the cost down, but still be able to do the color correction on it... I was looking at JVC monitors, I don't want to just view out on my 24 inch lcd anymore.

Thanks in advance

chris

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter BiscardiRe: Color Correction Monitor
by on Sep 30, 2005 at 8:24:31 pm

The best out there are still the Sony PVM-L5/1 series if you can find them. The 20" models are only available in B-Stock now, though you can still find the 14" models out there. They are still the industry standard though they are now out of production. What's out there is all that is left.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
http://www.biscardicreative.com

Now in Production, "The Rough Cut," http://www.theroughcutmovie.com

Now editing "Good Eats" in HD for the Food Network

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

G5 Dual 2.0, AJA Kona 2, Medea FCR2X

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

chrispyRe: Color Correction Monitor
by on Oct 1, 2005 at 2:10:30 am

Not really sure what your budget is...you may want to check out eCinema's DCM23 reference grade HD LCD monitor - http://www.ecinemasys.com

I saw it recently at the IBC show and is brilliant. Alot of engineers and colorists have also given the thumbs up for this product. The list price is around US$15K.

-chrispy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David BattistellaRe: Color Correction Monitor
by on Oct 1, 2005 at 1:43:47 pm

The JVC is an excellent choice if you can't get your hands on a SONY and it actually has about 100 more lines of resolution and accepts any mode/format the KONA 2 can throw at it.

David

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris TomberlinRe: Color Correction Monitor
by on Oct 3, 2005 at 3:36:20 pm

Well, contrary to conventional wisdom, the JVC monitors are at least as good as (and in some cases better) than the Sony monitors. In fact, I have just replaced a Sony PVM L5 14" with a JVC DT-V1710. The JVC looks better, and does not suffer from interference problems (mainly from the earth's magnetic field) that I was getting with the Sony. At least with some things, Sony is not really the company it used to be.

-Chris

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

C-MacRe: Color Correction Monitor
by on Oct 3, 2005 at 4:12:43 pm

Hey Chris,

What card are you using in your JVC DT-V1710CG at work they have the 19 inch model, it looks great...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris TomberlinRe: Color Correction Monitor
by on Oct 3, 2005 at 4:56:52 pm

I'm just using the good 'ole component input card - SD and HD for about $300. It works great taking the component out from the Kona2 into the monitor. OHH, one HUGE thing I forgot to mention. On the Sony, it did NOT appear to switch color matrixes when switching from SD to HD and back. If you set the monitor up to bars (for instance) in SD, then switched to HD, HD bars would show up out of whack on the monitor. On the JVC, it switches automatically so bars look correct in both HD and SD.

-chris

Chris Tomberlin
Editor/Compositor/Owner
OutPost Pictures

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]