Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Compressor and Cinewave

COW Forums : Pinnacle CineWave

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
eric sampsonCompressor and Cinewave
by on May 19, 2005 at 4:32:48 pm

We have a Cinewave card and we are capturing Beta using the TARGA Cine NTSC- Balanced Audio- Pro Analog. What I do when Im done editing is make a Reference movie (both self contained and not self contained) and take it to Apple's Compressor using the High Quality 2 Pass VBR. Then I go to DVD Studio Pro and burn my DVD.

After its burned I view it on 2 different computers and it looks GREAT. Then I take it to a 3 stand alone DVD players and the videos play as if they are skipping. Its real subtle. It looks like the shutter has been put to 20fps. Like when theres even normal motion in the video its skipping. I see it. Whats wrong?

I have tried encoding it on 2 different computers ( 1 without Cinewave) and I get the same results after I burn it!

Please help!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Johan EdstromRe: Compressor and Cinewave
by on May 19, 2005 at 5:14:15 pm

Could it be 29.97fps vs 30fps kind of a bug along the line?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

SmoothRe: Compressor and Cinewave
by on May 20, 2005 at 5:26:23 pm

How long is your material? Is it even worth doing the variable bit rate, what does the file look like doing a higher fixed bit rate?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dale LaunerRe: Compressor and Cinewave
by on May 22, 2005 at 11:18:59 pm

What kind of DVDs are you using?

Cheapos or one of the better name brands?

Dale Launer
writer.filmmaker
G5 Cinewave HD Huge

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris WilsonRe: Compressor and Cinewave
by on Jun 3, 2005 at 2:51:35 am

I was hoping to see an answer to your dilemma in subsequent posts as I am occasionally having the same problem. For instance, yesterday, after adding a shot to an existing timeline (from which I had previously made a beautiful DVD) I re-compressed and burned another disk. As you described, It played well on a progressive scan computer monitor but strobed slightly on a standalone player and TV.

The sequence settings hadn't changed (targa cine YUV) and, as far as I can remember, the compression settings were identical. I can see no obvious production differences between my great DVDs and my unacceptable ones. I've tried de-interlacing as a workaround with no success. Once a sequence using uncompressed 10 bit gave the same result. I assume this is user error. Other than cheap media, does anyone have any insights?

Chris
Dual 2gh G5, Xserve raid 4 gigs ram

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

chadRe: Compressor and Cinewave
by on Jun 13, 2005 at 6:02:39 pm

i have had the same problem. re-exporting from the timeline or re-encoding in compressor fixed it for me. I think it's just bad compressor exports. I have done batches of music videos and had 1 out of all of them do this. All of the videos were from the same timeline and settings so I don't think it's final cut.

Also, when I reburned the DVD multiple times, the same video stuttered every time. Re-exporting that one in compressor fixed it.

cheers,
chad.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff LairdRe: Compressor and Cinewave
by on Jun 13, 2005 at 7:28:16 pm

Don't know if you are still monitoring this thread... but I see that there is a new Compressor 1.2.1 out. It was made specifically for FCP HD users that are trying to make MPEG2's.

We did the update now thingy... haven't had the chance use it yet.

Good luck!

Jeff Laird
Assistant Chief
KFDM/KWBB TV
Beaumont, Texas
That's near Houston

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter