Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Idle friday thoughts: next NAB or sooner?

COW Forums : Apple iPhone

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Aaron NeitzIdle friday thoughts: next NAB or sooner?
by on Jul 18, 2008 at 6:02:28 pm

Next April is a long way off.

Don't you get this feeling there's at least a nice .5 upgrade just waiting to be revealed? Any moment now? Get some of those pesky Studio 2 problem squashed!

It's Friday folks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: Idle friday thoughts: next NAB or sooner?
by on Jul 18, 2008 at 6:16:57 pm

[Aaron Neitz] "Don't you get this feeling there's at least a nice .5 upgrade just waiting to be revealed?"

A NICE .5 upgrade? When pigs fly.

A run-of-the-mill upgrade with fairly useless feature enhancements, fixing absolutely no fundamental issues whatsoever? As you say, any moment now....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: Idle friday thoughts: next NAB or sooner?
by on Jul 18, 2008 at 6:47:29 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "A NICE .5 upgrade? When pigs fly."

Hey...FCP 4.5 was a GREAT upgrade. FCP 4.0 was absolute crap...then FCP 4.5 came out. That has to still be the most stable version of FCP in existence.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David Roth WeissRe: Idle friday thoughts: next NAB or sooner?
by on Jul 18, 2008 at 6:21:27 pm

Why? The iPhone is keeping everyone at Apple plenty busy and filling the coffers with loot. 1-million were sold over the first weekend. That's $200,000,000. Not bad cash flow for two days...

Plus, there's no reason to rush the next version anyway, this forum is already busy enough right now thank you.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Aaron NeitzRe: Idle friday thoughts: next NAB or sooner?
by on Jul 18, 2008 at 6:34:10 pm

Whoah guys, sorry I brought it up

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

walter biscardiRe: Idle friday thoughts: next NAB or sooner?
by on Jul 18, 2008 at 7:07:37 pm

[Aaron Neitz] "Whoah guys, sorry I brought it up"

Well, it's just that speculating on what Apple will do and when they will do it is such a useless excersize when it comes to ProApps. Two years ago "Final Cut Extreme" was a sure thing. Never happened. It was a possibility again this past year. Didn't happen, in fact nothing happened unless you're completely sold that RED is the second coming of the messiah.

All I want is a simple Offline / Online tool that actually works and I would really like Color to work with every format that FCP can handle. Waaaaaaay too much to ask I know, but there you go.

And as for your question, I think the point about the iPhone is your answer. Heck Apple held up the release of Leopard for 6 months just so the phone could be delivered as promised. The iPhone is the money bags right now and all primary resources Apple has to bear are going to that and other consumer products that are bringing Apple more and more people to the product line. Us Pro Users are kind of stuck with the product line if we want to keep using Apples so they pretty much have us. There's nothing else out there that compares in price and quality to what the Studio 2 package brings. So we'll just sit here and wait while they release their iPhones, iTablets, and I'm sure the iWallet that automatically deposits money into the iTunes account can't be that far off.

So in short, Pro Users just take what we can get, the consumer market is growing and growing fast for Apple and they'll ride that pony as far as they can go before it peters out.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 18, 2008 at 7:35:38 pm

[walter biscardi] "
Well, it's just that speculating on what Apple will do and when they will do it is such a useless excersize when it comes to ProApps. Two years ago "Final Cut Extreme" was a sure thing. Never happened. It was a possibility again this past year. Didn't happen, in fact nothing happened unless you're completely sold that RED is the second coming of the messiah."

You're right as always, Walter. It is useless wondering anymore... the scrappy junkyard dogs are suddenly rolling around in hype, money, and iXXX's. Studio is not big $$ maker = not a priority.

if I were avid, let's say, i'd be furiously coding some revolutionary media composer to come and steal our hearts. if I were avid.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 18, 2008 at 7:39:17 pm

[Aaron Neitz] "if I were avid, let's say, i'd be furiously coding some revolutionary media composer to come and steal our hearts. if I were avid. "

Yes, if someone else would come along and make a package just as strong and "pro friendly" as FCP, AND make it the same price or lower, that would be something. Where Apple has everyone else is they subsidize the price of the software by locking it to their own hardware.

Adobe is the closest with CS3 and in some ways their package is stronger such as Photoshop and After Effects, but it's hard to beat Color in any other package.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 18, 2008 at 8:53:05 pm

Color is defiantly worth the price of admission. In fact after using it, I'm pulling hair every time I need to CC in After Effects. Let's hope it doesn't go the way of Shake.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 18, 2008 at 9:10:22 pm

[Aaron Neitz] "Color is defiantly worth the price of admission. In fact after using it, I'm pulling hair every time I need to CC in After Effects. Let's hope it doesn't go the way of Shake. "

Yeah, speaking of which, whatever happened to "Phenomenon?" That was the code name for the Shake Replacement. Maybe those guys were re-assigned to the iPhone Apps store.....

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Wayne CareyRe: Idle friday thoughts: next NAB or sooner?
by on Jul 18, 2008 at 9:14:57 pm

Probably working on the Final Cut Ultimate Studio software.... What happened to that? You know, the 64-bit version f FCS that would revolutionize the video industry.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://www.schazamproductions.com
http://blogs.creativecow.net/waynecarey

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

gary adcockRe: Idle friday thoughts: next NAB or sooner?
by on Jul 19, 2008 at 2:56:20 pm

[Wayne Carey] "You know, the 64-bit version f FCS "

We will be waiting a long time for that. (and longer for Xdcam to support it)

I never understand why you guys are asking for more when there are a bunch of things we need

RGB ?
Timecode?
10bit?
Media Mangler?

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 21, 2008 at 1:17:25 pm

You are sincerely correct, Gary...

I feel that the TRUE power with FCP are the items that Gary has mentioned. Faster processing may be nice but it doesn't really matter if the program cannot perform the everyday functions that we need.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 18, 2008 at 9:30:17 pm

[walter biscardi] "Yeah, speaking of which, whatever happened to "Phenomenon?" That was the code name for the Shake Replacement. Maybe those guys were re-assigned to the iPhone Apps store....."

Well the Shake head, and most of their top programmers, left. Went to the Foundry and are working on Nuke... which incidentally has taken off like gangbusters since Shake went EOL.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew KimeryRe: Idle friday thoughts: next NAB or sooner?
by on Jul 18, 2008 at 10:12:33 pm

[walter biscardi] "Yeah, speaking of which, whatever happened to "Phenomenon?" That was the code name for the Shake Replacement. Maybe those guys were re-assigned to the iPhone Apps store..... "
AFAIK Phenomenon was never more than a baseless rumor. Same w/FC Extreme (a rumor which was started by a Mac rumor/news site that also said the price of the Red One would be six figures). After Apple acquired Shake and found out how much it would take to keep it going I think they decided "not worth it" and are just going to keep adding Shake technology to their existing apps (like we've already seen happen w/Motion and FCP). Of course that makes me worry even more about the fate of Color...

I'll kindly poke Apple about the lack of updates to real apps, but I'm not going to knock them for "abandoning" applications that only existed in the mind of the Mac rumor mill.

-A

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Martin BakerRe: Idle friday thoughts: next NAB or sooner?
by on Jul 18, 2008 at 11:13:19 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Of course that makes me worry even more about the fate of Color..."

Color built into FCP would be a bad thing?

Martin
Digital Heaven, London UK

Unique plug-ins and tools for Apple Pro Apps
----------
Avid2FCP
For Avid editors learning FCP

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew KimeryRe: Idle friday thoughts: next NAB or sooner?
by on Jul 19, 2008 at 7:50:56 pm

[Martin Baker] "Color built into FCP would be a bad thing?"

I meant Color getting ignored, EOL'd, and stripped for a couple of parts. I'd rather see Color grow as a stand alone, powerful app then have it cannibalized to moderately improve FCP's 3-way CC filter.

-A

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 21, 2008 at 1:20:25 pm

Here, Here!!!

Peresonally, I'd like to see an easier and better round tripping method to it. But that's just me...

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 19, 2008 at 12:19:09 am

Hopefully that will never roll in to FCP. It's a much stronger app on its own. Of course that's provided that Apple gets it talking to all the other codecs correctly. It was never designed for Quicktime in the first place, so I'm sure it's a challenge to make it accept all the other codecs out there.

[Andrew Kimery] "Of course that makes me worry even more about the fate of Color... "

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 19, 2008 at 12:27:23 am

I will say this about Color. A friend of ours who works at Company 3, a senior colorist, said Color was very good. He was almost as comfortable obtaining the results he wanted from Color as from his DaVinci.

So as an *interface*, it is ready to compete with the big boys. It just needs a huge I/O and bug fix.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 19, 2008 at 1:23:40 am

[Aaron Neitz] "So as an *interface*, it is ready to compete with the big boys. It just needs a huge I/O and bug fix."

Just look up CineFilm Lab here in Atlanta. They have daVinci artists who now use Color in a DI room. They graded Matt Damon's documentary film in that room running Color. Color's quality is every bit as good as that app and quite honestly I have no idea how you would ever put that interface into FCP anyway. Unless of course they completely dumb down the application to a new 3Way CC tool. That would be a shame.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul DickinRe: Idle friday thoughts: next NAB or sooner?
by on Jul 19, 2008 at 9:22:06 am

[walter biscardi] "Adobe is the closest with CS3 and in some ways their package is stronger such as Photoshop and After Effects..."

But in most ways not :-(
This is an email received by a user failing repeatedly to get help from Adobe as to why Premiere Pro was unusable in a professional edit set-up"
[Adobe Technical Support] Premiere Pro and Encore CS3 were never tested on an Apple 8 core processor system, as that processor was not available to Adobe for testing before the release of the product...
If you need any other Technical assistance, please feel free to contact us again.
Yours sincerely,
Sergio C*******
Adobe Technical Support
Tel: (UK) 020 7365 0735
Tel: (Eire) 01 242 1553
Fax: 0031 20 5820875
Email: englishts@adobe.com

Us Apple pro-apps users could do with some real competition to force Apple's game - but as far as Adobe is concerned, its not happening :-(

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 19, 2008 at 12:10:21 pm

[Paul Dickin] "but as far as Adobe is concerned, its not happening :-( "

And don't even get me started on BluRay authoring with Encore......

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Arnie SchlisselRe: Idle friday thoughts: next NAB or sooner?
by on Jul 19, 2008 at 3:04:48 pm

[Paul Dickin] "If you need any other Technical assistance, please feel free to contact us again."

I read that as "Sorry we couldn't be bothered to help, but don't hesitate to ask us to not help you again in the future! Have a nice day."

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sean ONeilRe: Idle friday thoughts: next NAB or sooner?
by on Jul 18, 2008 at 8:13:33 pm

I wouldn't expect anything major prior to Snow Leopard being released.

Sean

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: Idle friday thoughts: next NAB or sooner?
by on Jul 18, 2008 at 9:46:18 pm

[Sean ONeil] "I wouldn't expect anything major prior to Snow Leopard being released."

Is anyone besides me getting pretty darned fed up with Apple's no-longer-cool habit of naming new versions of OS 10 after big, predatory cats?

I swear, if they get around to using "Ocelot", Windows Vista just might start looking pretty good.....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 18, 2008 at 9:48:59 pm

For sure.

Pretty Kitty = OS10.9

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lee BergerRe: Idle friday thoughts: next NAB or sooner?
by on Jul 20, 2008 at 6:37:26 pm

How about Hello Kitty?

Lee Berger
http://www.leebergermedia.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 18, 2008 at 10:00:07 pm

I've been voting for Tabby Cat for over a year now......

[Dave LaRonde] "Is anyone besides me getting pretty darned fed up with Apple's no-longer-cool habit of naming new versions of OS 10 after big, predatory cats? "

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Arnie SchlisselRe: Idle friday thoughts: next NAB or sooner?
by on Jul 18, 2008 at 10:56:43 pm

[walter biscardi] "I've been voting for Tabby Cat for over a year now..."

Followed, no doubt, by Persian?

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter