Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Transcode Sony's XDCAM HD to ProRes422

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Rob GrauertTranscode Sony's XDCAM HD to ProRes422
by on Feb 16, 2008 at 10:45:41 pm

Hey guys,

I haven't yet gone completely HD. I've only got my computer ready for it because I'm still in school and I feel it's too soon for me to buy an HD camera. I've been doing a bunch research on whether I want an HVX or Sony's new PMW EX1. I'm leaning toward the EX1.

I've read that the best thing to do with the EX1 is to capture by transcoding it to Apple's ProRes 4:2:2 codec because it's an intra-frame codec rather than the original GOP codec (or something like that. I don't quite understand.) What exactly is this, and how does one go about making the conversion.

Thank a lot,

Rob Grauert

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: Transcode Sony's XDCAM HD to ProRes422
by on Feb 16, 2008 at 11:25:39 pm

There really is no need to capture as ProRes from the start, or to transcode all the footage that you have captured. All that does is take up space. You would be better suited to edit XDCAM natively (well, imported using the Sony import tool), then render out as ProRes when you are done...color correct and add filters and render out 10-bit. This way you keep your data rates low and take up much less space. Just use this handy feature found in the Sequence Settings:

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD now for sale!
http://www.LFHD.net
Read my blog!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rob GrauertRe: Transcode Sony's XDCAM HD to ProRes422
by on Feb 17, 2008 at 12:03:07 am

Thanks a lot. That definitely helps.

Hard drive space is real cheap these days though. And I've found Mac certified RAM that is cheap and works fine too. So let's say RAM and HD space isn't a factor. What is the best way to go about this?

Thanks again,

Rob G

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: Transcode Sony's XDCAM HD to ProRes422
by on Feb 17, 2008 at 12:29:28 am

The best way to go is still the way I laid out. You can only import as native XDCAM, as far as I know, you cannot transcode it as you import. You'd have to transcode AFTER you imported, which takes time and really unnecessary drive space. If you edit native XDCAM, then render out ProRes, you get all the benefits of prores, just at the end.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD now for sale!
http://www.LFHD.net
Read my blog!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 17, 2008 at 12:37:22 am

Awesome. Thanks for the help. It is much appreciated

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rafael AmadorRe: Transcode Sony's XDCAM HD to ProRes422
by on Feb 17, 2008 at 3:54:37 am

[Rob Grauert] "it's an intra-frame codec rather than the original GOP codec (or something like that. I don't quite understand."
Hi Rob,
If you are about to choose between DVCProHD and XDCam you should know what is the difference between an "Intraframe" and a "GOP" based formats.

PPC G5 2x2Gh 4GbRAM/BlackMagic SD/PMBP 17"Core2Duo 4GbRAM
JVC DTV-17"/FCS2/AE CS3/COMBUSTION/SHAKE

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 17, 2008 at 8:20:12 am

yea, I think i kind of do. Intraframe only looks at that one specific frame when encoding. GOP looks at the ones before it. and intraframe uses MJPEG compression where as GOP uses MPEG.

feel free to enlighten me with anything i missed though.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 17, 2008 at 10:05:01 am

No much to enlighten you. Basically is that: Intraframe means that every picture is encoded independently so can be read in the same fashion. GOPs (Group of pictures) packs few pictures together so you need to decode the full GOP to access the pictures.
But MJPG is just one of the many intraframe video codec (same than DV or DVCPro, etc) while MPG2 is a GOP based one.
I could have never thought that a GOP format could yield a better quality than an intraframe one, but i just bought a EX1.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alan LaceyRe: Transcode Sony's XDCAM HD to ProRes422
by on Feb 17, 2008 at 1:04:06 pm

Me too Rafael, but remember Rob could capture ProRes directly - not saying it's a better alternative mind you! - and it would require a capture card or bob.

Alan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 17, 2008 at 2:56:59 pm

Hi Alan,
I just meant that when you are about to choose your future acquisition format you better know what are you buying.
About capturing Prores I do not like the idea. The only way that your footage keeps the ful original quality is capturing Uncompresse or the raw files (whatever the format you are shooting). Any other option for capturing, even Prores, will produce a degradation in your picture.
I'm with Shane, capture and edit in the original format and change the codec on exporting if you need so. You process your image only one time.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alan LaceyRe: Transcode Sony's XDCAM HD to ProRes422
by on Feb 17, 2008 at 5:52:33 pm

I agree but do find my timeline more responsive with the IoHD if I'm working ProRes, espescially on the MBP. I think it's because the IoHD is native ProRes.

Alan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]