Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

SD to HD up-res plugin

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Benjamin DavidSD to HD up-res plugin
by on Dec 4, 2007 at 9:26:29 am

What is the best plugin to apply to SD footage (in order to improve the quality) having enlarged it to fit on an HD timeline?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: SD to HD up-res plugin
by on Dec 4, 2007 at 9:55:16 am

[Benjamin David] "What is the best plugin to apply to SD footage...having enlarged it to fit on an HD timeline?"

Compressor does this for free. Look at the ADVANCED CONVERSION options. Or...

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com - INSTANT HD

Or a Terranex box at a post facility. This will get you your best results. But very expensive.

[Benjamin David] "(in order to improve the quality)"

Blowing SD up to HD will do anything BUT improve the quality. It will make it look worse. You will be taking something 1/4th to 1/10th its original size, and blowing it up. That will bring out the grain and tha artifacts. Now Instant HD, and even Compressor, can smooth out some of this, but not all of it.

Shane

Littlefrog Post

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD now for sale!
http://www.lfhd.net

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

walter biscardiRe: SD to HD up-res plugin
by on Dec 4, 2007 at 12:17:32 pm

As Shane notes, blowing up SD to HD, especially via Software, will reduce quality.

In addition to his suggestions, the AJA Kona 3 and the AJA IoHD offer hardware up-conversion which is far better quality than software up convert.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR
The new Color Training DVD now available from the Creative Cow!

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

PeterdRe: SD to HD up-res plugin
by on Dec 4, 2007 at 2:46:13 pm

I use a Kona2 for upconverts and AJA's hardware does and excellent job converting SD to HD or HD to SD in realtime.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rob TinworthRe: SD to HD up-res plugin
by on Dec 4, 2007 at 3:00:54 pm

Is there anything to be gained in using compresser to upres SD footage over just dropping it into an HD timeline in FCP and rendering?

Rob Tinworth
http://www.1021.tv

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob FloodRe: SD to HD up-res plugin
by on Dec 4, 2007 at 3:55:28 pm

Hi

I know compresser has some pixel interpretation settings that fcp does not, so i would say yes there is an advantage of compressor over fcp

I think ken stone or larry jordan has a write up on using compressor to blow up stuff

we all know that blowing stuff up wont make it sharper, but compressor will make it look pretty good.

"I like video because its so fast!"

Bob Flood
Greer & Associates, Inc.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Wayne CareyRe: SD to HD up-res plugin
by on Dec 4, 2007 at 4:11:25 pm

[Shane Ross] "http://www.redgiantsoftware.com - INSTANT HD"

That would be nice but the new version that works with the latest programs will no be available until at least January. I read this on the Toolfarm forums for Red Giant.

Thankfully.... I don't rely on software upconversion.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://www.schazamproductions.com
http://blogs.creativecow.net/waynecarey

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Uli PlankRe: SD to HD up-res plugin
by on Dec 4, 2007 at 4:26:28 pm

ReSizer from Digital Anarchy is already up-to-date. It's faster, but also more expensive than InstantHD. Give the demo a try, it's definitely faster than Compressor.
But you may still want a Teranex

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 4, 2007 at 4:47:37 pm

Very true... Nothing beats a good hardware conversion.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

rafalaosRe: SD to HD up-res plugin
by on Dec 6, 2007 at 12:05:32 pm

[Wayne Carey] "othing beats a good hardware conversion."

Hi Waine,
I'm sorry but i do not agree with you. I don't mean that a Teranex don't make a better job than Compressor or what ever application. I mean that if a Teranex do a better job is just because runs a better software than Compressor.
When you convert digital to digital (not talking analog-digital) the hardware is just doing the same maths than you CPU could be doing. Faster, but the same.
Jeremy comments few days ago that when he upconvert DVCPro50 to 10b Unc with his Panasonic desk, he get better results that when he do the conversion with FC.
OK, but why? Because Panasonic (the developer of the codec) know better than nobody else how to manage it. And they keeps their secret for the people willing to pay 8.000$ for a desk. And the secret is just a better software installed in the vtr.When we go fro analog to digital, the hardware is critic for the digitalization. Once in the digital world the only thing that hardware can do is to run some software faster than your computer.
Rafael

PPC G5 2x2Gh 4GbRAM/BlackMagic SD/PMBP 17"Core2Duo 4GbRAM
JVC DTV-17"/FCS2/AE CS3/COMBUSTION/SHAKE

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 6, 2007 at 12:16:42 pm

[rafalaos] "OK, but why? Because Panasonic (the developer of the codec) know better than nobody else how to manage it."

Actually, Panasonic is the first to admit that the AJA Kona and the Panasonic decks have the same Upconversion capabilities. I'm not sure if AJA worked with Panny on this, but even my reseller said they're essentially the same boards in the decks.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

JeremyGRe: SD to HD up-res plugin
by on Dec 6, 2007 at 4:45:04 pm

[walter biscardi] "I'm not sure if AJA worked with Panny on this, but even my reseller said they're essentially the same boards in the decks."

Acutally, that conversation wasn't about upconversion, it was about capturing dv50 vs 10bit in SD.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 6, 2007 at 12:18:39 pm

[rafalaos] "I'm sorry but i do not agree with you. I don't mean that a Teranex don't make a better job than Compressor or what ever application. I mean that if a Teranex do a better job is just because runs a better software than Compressor."

No it has to do with the hardware primarily. The Terranex is a huge box with a ton of various boards so while it runs software, it's also very much a hardware conversion that is making the transfer from SD to HD.

There's a reason why a Terranex is over $100,000. It's just plain good at what it does and the one thing it does better than anybody out there is SD to HD Upconversion. It makes DV looks like pure HDCAM material.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

rafalaosRe: SD to HD up-res plugin
by on Dec 6, 2007 at 3:03:23 pm

[walter biscardi] "The Terranex is a huge box with a ton of various boards so while it runs software, it's also very much a hardware conversion"
Walter,
Once you are digital it dosen't exist such a hardware conversion. You start with a bunch of bit representing YCbCr or RGB values and the only thing you can do with that are mathematical operations. With the correct plugin, FC could do the same think than a Teranex. Slower, OK.
The people of Teranex could write and sell the plugin, but then they would sell very little machines.
People say that the best MPG2 encoder in the market is Cinema Craft. They sell the software and the hardware. But they do not pretend than their hardware can do it better than their software. Just faster (MPG2 6 passes in RT).
IMHO, analog is all about hardware, digital is all about software.
And what you said about Panasonic and AjA makes a lot of sense.
Rafael

PPC G5 2x2Gh 4GbRAM/BlackMagic SD/PMBP 17"Core2Duo 4GbRAM
JVC DTV-17"/FCS2/AE CS3/COMBUSTION/SHAKE

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

PearlRe: SD to HD up-res plugin
by on Dec 4, 2007 at 5:13:50 pm

I'm with Shane, software coversion is a mushy road to go down. We've tested everything from compressor to Nitris in our facility. A few years ago we went with the mini Teranex and it has been awesome. We still use it depending on the project, but more often than not we use our Kona 3 boxes.

pearl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 4, 2007 at 6:03:15 pm

[Pearl] "software coversion is a mushy road to go down"

It's not exactly cut and dry. it really depends on what format you are starting with and what format you are going to and if there's retiming involved. Interlaced, progressive and frame rate, let alone the scaling.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

ArniepixRe: SD to HD up-res plugin
by on Dec 4, 2007 at 6:09:39 pm

Not to mention what kind of look you're after. If you don't want a particularly crisp, clean look, it's possible to do quite an interesting job in software.

Arnie

Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman

http://www.arniepix.com/blog

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

PearlRe: SD to HD up-res plugin
by on Dec 4, 2007 at 6:16:26 pm

Hey Jeremy, you're right it's not cut and dry, but you also get what you pay for. Scaling up through software, changing framerates, rendering out multiple QT's, almost always equals "soft video" Hardware does it in one pass, and has much cleaner results...especially if you're going to be putting said video through more FX on the timeline.

I love softeware too, but hardware kicks butt in this game.

pearl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 4, 2007 at 6:24:46 pm

Yeah, I don't disagree. But for the amount of money you can save and depending on what your footage is, it's not a one stop solution. I chose to go with COMpressor the other day as i was more satisfied with the results than a Kona upconvert. But that was on this particular footage, and there's other times when a Kona upconvert is better.

All I am saying is, there's options and it's not always a hardware game. Hardware is real time though. That is convenient.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris PoissonRe: SD to HD up-res plugin
by on Dec 5, 2007 at 4:50:57 pm

REsizer faster than Compressor? Not when I tested it about a year ago, they must have fixed it, it was really slow. Compressor does an really good job on this.

Have a wonderful day.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 4, 2007 at 2:37:33 pm

You cannot "improve" the quality of the original. You can scale it up in a way to not lose any quality, but your SD material will never match good HD material in quality.

IOW if you scale it up using the best methods, it will never be as sharp as if it had been shot as HD in the 1st place. And if the focus is soft or the exposure is off, then it will just be a bigger picture with soft focus or bad exposure.

Arnie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

steve EisenRe: SD to HD up-res plugin
by on Dec 4, 2007 at 3:42:06 pm

You can also use UpRez filter from Boris BCC 5.

Here is a tutorial:
http://www.borisfx.com/news/2007/08/podcast-upscale-media-in-apple-final.ht...

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Director-At-Large
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 4, 2007 at 4:55:21 pm

I used Compressor 3.0.2 on some footage the other day and I was blown away at the quality.

What kind of SD and what format of HD are you going to?

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sean ONeilRe: SD to HD up-res plugin
by on Dec 5, 2007 at 9:52:56 pm

Has anyone seen a movie on TNT-HD? The majority of them are Teranex upconverts (you can tell because the AR is a warped 4:3 stretched to 16:9). And they look awesome. A lot better than SD. Upconverting CAN improve the image quality if done right, mainly because the process itself lowers the pixel aliasing. And when using a Teranex for example, it also has noise reduction and other techniques to improve the quality.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris PoissonRe: SD to HD up-res plugin
by on Dec 6, 2007 at 2:17:56 pm

Just this week I blew up an iStock SD photo jpeg clip to 720p with Compressor, it looked completely perfect. I wouldn't make a single excuse for it, you can't tell it was uprezed.

Have a wonderful day.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 6, 2007 at 3:19:33 pm

[Chris Poisson] "Just this week I blew up an iStock SD photo jpeg clip to 720p with Compressor, it looked completely perfect. I wouldn't make a single excuse for it, you can't tell it was uprezed."

I'll agree that Compressor can do some pretty impressive work.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 6, 2007 at 8:07:17 pm

[Wayne Carey] "I'll agree that Compressor can do some pretty impressive work."

Same here. If you start out with good material, and you tweak things properly, you can achieve very satisfactory results. I think it's really starting to mature.

Arnie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]