Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Final Cut Compression help needed for Live music performance.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Mr DavisFinal Cut Compression help needed for Live music performance.
by on Oct 22, 2007 at 12:02:36 pm

Hello Everyone,

I need a little help deciding the best way to do something. I am not very knowledgable about video codecs.

I am a musician and for my live performance I use Ableton Live. This software allows me to have a video channel along with my audio material. I will have 2 audio channels of music, an audio channel for my microphone and the video channel. Everything plays back in sync from a Macbook Pro 2.2 with an internal 7200rpm drive. I shoot the video onto a screen from a LCD projector having the mac "dual screen" it out.

My big question is what codec should I use? I have decided 720X480 is a good size. Ableton only allows Apple's QuickTime format (.mov).

I was told on the Ableton forum that JPEG would be the least taxing on the computer and also look good enough even with the settings at about 60% quality.

Do you guys agree?

From Final Cut Pro I see Motion JPEG A, Motion JPEG B and Photo - JPEG... which one is the "right" one to use?

And just to verify my footsteps in Final Cut I go File -> Export -> Using Quicktime Conversion then select Quicktime Movie then click Options and under Video Settings that's where I pick the compression codec... Am I correct?

I really don't want to mess this up... especially because it will an hours worth of video so I don't want to redo my work.

A huge thank you in advance to any Cow members that can suggest anything here!!

Jon Davis

Powermac dual 2.5 G5, Production Bundle, Canon ZR60

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

MatteRe: Final Cut Compression help needed for Live music performance.
by on Oct 22, 2007 at 12:06:09 pm

Every computer and software combo can behave differently.

I suggest you do a TEST (or two or three) using a short (3 min. or so) clip.

Then do the long version after you see how well everything behaves.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

PaulDRe: Final Cut Compression help needed for Live music performance.
by on Oct 22, 2007 at 12:19:31 pm

Hi
Photo-JPEG @ 60% or so is a good choice - the MJPEG codecs were for hardware video cards.

720x480 is really a non-square pixel size for DV editing - for computer screen work square pixels would normally be used. But using 720x480 with square pixels would give a slight widescreen aspect ratio which you might prefer.

One option is to make your QuickTime movie at 360x240 pixels, then use QT's scale to double size option, which would play out 720x480, but with a far smaller movie file size.
Save your movie after it has been enlarged and it will always play at the larger size.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mr DavisRe: Final Cut Compression help needed for Live music performance.
by on Oct 26, 2007 at 7:42:04 am

Hi Everyone,

So I went ahead and tested all the codecs available to me from Final Cut Pro. Here are my results:

http://www.wiretotheear.com/2007/10/25/the-best-codec-for-video-in-ableton-...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]