Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Panasonic HVX 200 Quality

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
PipitoPanasonic HVX 200 Quality
by on Sep 17, 2007 at 9:48:25 pm

Hi,

I am about to shoot a documentary with the Panasonic 200 and I am trying to get the best quality possible. Looks to me that 1080 60i looks better than 720 30pn. but from what i heard, i should be able to get a better quality with native 720. To me the 720 30pn looks a bit noisier than the 1080 60i. Do you guys have any recommendations?? Is there a difference between 1080 60i and 720 30pn?

thank you,
Luis

Rate this post:

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

walter biscardiRe: Panasonic HVX 200 Quality
by on Sep 17, 2007 at 9:58:40 pm

720p/60 is my favorite format for HD.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Broadcast and independent productions.

All Things Apple Podcast! http://cowcast.creativecow.net/all_things_apple/index.html

Read my blog! http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

sumfunRe: Panasonic HVX 200 Quality
by on Sep 18, 2007 at 2:53:32 am

Many knowlegeable users at the DVX User website, say that 1080 has about 20% more resolution than 720. But shoot 1080p24 or p30 because it's much better than interlace. Shoot 720 if you need higher frame rates.

The camera converts the CCD data to 1080 first. Then it down converts to other sizes.

http://www.HotSpotsOnline.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

BorjisRe: Panasonic HVX 200 Quality
by on Sep 18, 2007 at 3:33:14 am

I'm a huge advocate of 720P myself, but in the special case of DVCPRO-HD I prefer the 1080i version to the 720P version after reading about the codec comparisons and differences by Marco Solorio's Test results.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: Panasonic HVX 200 Quality
by on Sep 18, 2007 at 3:59:03 am

We shoot and work with 720p60 and 720p 24PN footage, and deliver 1080p masters on HDCAM. All looks great on this end. But these cameras are all B-cameras to our Varicam, which shoots 720p60 and 720p24, so we need to have the ability to intercut the two.

No complaints yet, only compliments.

Shane

Littlefrog Post
http://www.lfhd.net

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

rafalaosOne question Shane..
by on Sep 18, 2007 at 8:53:59 am

Hi Shane,
I haven't had the chance of working with the PANASONIC HVX 200 but I was considering to buy it. Now the Sony XDCam EX has been released and looks great. Do you thinc that this camera (420, MPG2, etc) will equal the quality of the panasonic (DVCProHd..). I want to start to shoot HD but I can not thinc to go to a higher standard or model. Thanks for your advice,
rafael

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ken SummerallRe: One question Shane..
by on Sep 18, 2007 at 12:07:05 pm

[rafalaos] "Do you thinc that this camera (420, MPG2, etc) will equal the quality of the panasonic (DVCProHd..)."

Rafael,

I'm not Shane (on many levels) but at this time my opinion is that DVCPro HD is the better format simply because it is much easier to edit. My understanding is that XDCAM is basically HDV. That means that it is a long GOP format and that means it is more trouble to edit. Of course, you can get around this with a capture card, but then you lose some of the time advantage of shooting solid state.

Of course, the decision is ultimately yours and must be based on your needs and what is available to meet those needs at the time.

Hope this helps,

K

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

rafalaosRe: One question Shane..
by on Sep 18, 2007 at 12:17:53 pm

Hi Ken,
Thanks for your advice. I've been following a thread in the "CineAlta" forum basically comparing XDCam with DVCProHD. There they say that with the new Flash-memory of the XDCam EX, the workflow will be easier and faster than with P2 cards. The workflow is a very important issue but now I'm more interested in to comparing the picture quality that the two formats can offer. The XDCam EX has been just released so probably we will have to wait few weeks untill we can get some impartial feed-backs.
Cheers,
rafael

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 18, 2007 at 12:29:35 pm

[rafalaos] "There they say that with the new Flash-memory of the XDCam EX, the workflow will be easier and faster than with P2 cards."

What workflow? According to this http://ibc.mikkowilson.com/ there is no NLE support for XDCAM EX yet.

Also, red this thread for a Panasonic perspective: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/193/866842

Again, it's your decision. Which tool will give you the greatest opportunity to be an artist?

K

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 18, 2007 at 12:46:09 pm

Well Ken the support is a matter of time. SONY is SONY. Hoever the 420 sampling has been a deception for me. I expected a 422. SONY could have make a revolution with this camera but as you says, I start to think too that is a HDV re-packaged.
Anyway, no hurry-up. Time to wait.
Cheers,
Rafael

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 18, 2007 at 12:54:27 pm

[rafalaos] "Well Ken the support is a matter of time. SONY is SONY."

You are right, but my point was, "How can you judge the ease of workflow when there is no workflow?"

Anyway, you are smart to not get in a rush.

Cheers!

K

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: One question Shane..
by on Sep 18, 2007 at 1:33:37 pm

Hidey ho there, Shane Ross here with a Muppet news flash...

Well, I ain't no shooter, so I can't get in depth in that manner. And I don't have footage from both cameras of the same subject side by side to compare, so there is no way to really tell until you get that.

But that camera, as Ken noted, STILL only shoots MPEG-2 long GOP and has that pesky 4:2:0. And as Ken ALSO noted, there is no direct support in FCP yet. Gotta use the Sony tool. Although support is coming. But I'd really like to work with XDCAM as a different format, like ProRes 422.

But many many people swear by XDCAM...shooters that I admire...so there has to be something to it.

I cannot compare the cameras and their quality without side by side footage comparison. Can't be done.

Shane

Littlefrog Post
http://www.lfhd.net

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 18, 2007 at 1:49:11 pm

Thanks Shane. As I sayd before, time to wait. That never harms.
Cheers,
Rafael

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Don GreeningRe: One question Shane..
by on Sep 18, 2007 at 5:01:38 pm

Gary Adcock was apparently doing a week long test of the PMW EX1 right after IBC, so we can cross-examine him when he's back from that. I'm sure he'll have some sort of report for the COWers, anyway. I'd certainly trust his judgement on whether or not the camera is a quantum leap forward for event shooters (picture quality, workflow etc) or if it is, in fact, just a glorified HDV shooting improved Z1U.

Also, I have it on good authority that the next FCP update will have the capability to transfer EX footage within the log and capture window.

Version 1.1 of the Sony transfer software is available at the Sony website. They talk about being able to do user-defineable clip name changes now, so this must be the update XDCAM users were waiting for.

- Don

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 19, 2007 at 2:38:08 am

Thanks Don. The feed back from Gary will be very interesting. He must be really bussy now with the RED and the PMW EX1. Let wait for hes words. Cheers,
rafael

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andy MeesRe: One question Shane..
by on Sep 19, 2007 at 3:23:30 pm

[Don Greening] "Version 1.1 of the Sony transfer software is available at the Sony website. They talk about being able to do user-defineable clip name changes now, so this must be the update XDCAM users were waiting for."

Version 2 is the one with these talked about changes. Its not yet available ... due around the same time as the XDCAM EX1 is actually released, hopefully sooner but probaly not.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

gary adcockRe: One question Shane..
by on Sep 19, 2007 at 12:31:09 pm

[Ken Summerall] "hat workflow? According to this http://ibc.mikkowilson.com/ there is no NLE support for XDCAM EX yet. "

of course the camera is not shipping yet either
Sony has shown Premier, Vegas, Avid, and Apple workflows at IBC I know that Edius will also include support by the time the camera ships in the 4Q.

and The comments about 100mb vs 35Mb do not take into account that Panasonic has to compensate for their formats inclusion of redundant frames, if we are talking about 24pN the compression ratio is about the same.

Sony included the ability to shoot 1-60fps in 720 and 1-30 fps in 1080 plus it also capture 1080 23.98psf in the "Native" mode as 23.98psf and not 24/60

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]