Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

credits on end of movie best way?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
jujuelliotcredits on end of movie best way?
by on Apr 6, 2007 at 1:06:41 am

im finishing a film project and we need credts at the end of it.. whats the best way of going by doing this? any templates or anything?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob ColeRe: credits on end of movie best way?
by on Apr 6, 2007 at 4:00:23 am

Just a funny story here: I was on a film fest panel once and saw a short which had only one actor, a teen-aged boy who gradually became aware of some horror in the apartment just above his own.

There was a tracking shot of the boy walking down the hall, and something about the uneven pace of the camera made me realize that the camera must have been sitting in a wagon which was tied to the boy's ankle, which was just out of frame.

It was actually a pretty well-made movie, but I was not at all surprised when the credits came up... and they read:

David Smith
Did
EVERYTHING

(David Smith is a made-up name -- I wish I could remember the real one because he's probably a big director now. Does anybody recognize this film?)

About credits: If yours is an esthetic question, then just look at some films you admire and pick a style.

If you're wondering whether to scroll the credits or just dissolve from one page to another, the latter is easier. If you scroll you run into various technical issues. Do a search on the COW about scrolling text -- there's lots of advice about that.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Winston A. CelyRe: credits on end of movie best way?
by on Apr 6, 2007 at 11:41:43 am

That has to be the best end credits ever!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob RobertsRe: credits on end of movie best way?
by on Apr 6, 2007 at 7:44:35 am

For rolling credits, I usually type everything out in Illustrator and animate one long vertical movement in After Effects (...with a tiny [.15-.25] Gaussian blur to soften the text).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

rcPicsRe: credits on end of movie best way?
by on Apr 6, 2007 at 8:06:01 am

There's also a 'flicker-filter' setting in After Effects which can add a slight blur to help. I've found it very useful for any type of moving text, especially when making a progressive clip. 0.2 max is plenty.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

rafalaosRe: credits on end of movie best way?
by on Apr 6, 2007 at 8:43:44 am

But if you do it in FC, use the Boris Title 3D.
rafael

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom WolskyRe: credits on end of movie best way?
by on Apr 6, 2007 at 12:33:49 pm

I think rafalos means Title Crawl, with the animation type set to roll.

All the best,

Tom

Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 2 Editing Workshop" Class on Demand "Complete Training for FCP5" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy" DVDs

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

rafalaosRe: credits on end of movie best way?
by on Apr 6, 2007 at 3:05:07 pm

Tom,
I wanted to say that for static and animated titles (I haven't rried jet the Boris Text Crawl) Boris is the best option.
By the way in RIpple Training there is a tutorial about how to make a two-columns title crawl. Very easy and elegant:
"Creating scrolling titles in Final Cut Pro" (Creating Scrolling Text "Gutters" in Final Cut Pro). By Estelle MacDonald.
Cheers,
Rafael

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bret WilliamsRe: credits on end of movie best way?
by on Apr 6, 2007 at 2:37:56 pm

I did make a template credit roll. The truth is that if you want sharp titles, there are only 2 speeds you can roll at. If you want them readable, only one.

I made a fcp template awhile back with a photoshop file and a fcp project. Just change the text in the ps file and bingo you have a perfect credit roll in the fcp project.

http://bretwilliams.com/cowstuff/croll.zip

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

bogiesanRe: credits on end of movie best way?
by on Apr 6, 2007 at 6:37:51 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Title-Design-Essentials-Film-Video/dp/0321445767?ie=U...

bogiesan

This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: "For crying out loud, read the freakin' manual."

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]