Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Choosing a pro monitor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Dan HumphreyChoosing a pro monitor
by on Feb 24, 2007 at 4:22:49 am

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I will give it a shot. I am getting more serious about my video production and editing and I realize that I need to get a proper NTSC monitor for editing. My question is what do I look for in a good reference monitor and can I find one for around $1,000? Thanks in advance.

Dan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

eyecamiamRe: Choosing a pro monitor
by on Feb 24, 2007 at 4:06:43 pm

http://books.jvcservice.com/booklist.asp?Model=TM-H150CG/E

download the instruction manual for this 15" JVC broadcast monitor and see if it meets your needs. Well under a $1000.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=FghjldVLxr!95577...

$465 at bhphoto

OSX 10.4.7; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; FCP 4.5, 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000/pd170; write professionally for a variety of media;teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

walter biscardiRe: Choosing a pro monitor
by on Feb 24, 2007 at 4:17:17 pm

[eyecamiam] "
http://books.jvcservice.com/booklist.asp?Model=TM-H150CG/E

download the instruction manual for this 15" JVC broadcast monitor and see if it meets your needs. Well under a $1000."

This monitor is composite only, though you can add a Component option. Would not recommend a Composite monitor for any sort of pro work. B&H didn't list the component board so I don't know how much the monitor comes to with that addition.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

eyecamiamRe: Choosing a pro monitor
by on Feb 24, 2007 at 5:42:28 pm

The board lists for under $300 and I've seen sites that claim $250. The sony has a 2 year warranty. the jvc has a 1 year. the jvc has 750 lines of horizontal resolution the sony has 600. I've had good luck calling JVC for support. The Sony might be a higher quality unit, don't know.

OSX 10.4.7; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; FCP 4.5, 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000/pd170; write professionally for a variety of media;teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

JerryZ@BHRe: Choosing a pro monitor
by on Feb 26, 2007 at 3:01:39 pm

This is the part number for the component board option.

IF-C01COMG

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

walter biscardiRe: Choosing a pro monitor
by on Feb 24, 2007 at 4:16:11 pm

Sony PVM-14L2 for $1099 at B&H Photo. I don't see the L5's listed anymore or I'd recommend that.

You can get the 14L1 for only $495 but it's composite only. You really want Component inputs and the L2 has that standard.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

RobertRe: Choosing a pro monitor
by on Feb 24, 2007 at 9:07:17 pm

...the JVC has clearly better resolution. You can also buy SDI card for it (Im in Europe so I don't know
about US prices but I belive you end up under 1000USD for monitor and SDI card). If going HD and a Decklink
or Aja card you can downconvert to SD SDI and use it for that aswell. As said you can also use a component
card with it. The S-video input is good enough for DV work.
JVC also offers more front buttons, less need to go into menu to change settings.
Price / performance, JVC is the winner over Sony 14L1.

fwiw,
Robert

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris PoissonRe: Choosing a pro monitor
by on Feb 25, 2007 at 10:39:59 pm

I've had 3 JVC monitors, still have one, a 16" with a blue switch etc., but my Sony 14" still seems to have a better picture to me. I got the latter used for $600.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

RennieRe: Choosing a pro monitor
by on Feb 26, 2007 at 1:38:10 am

I've always spoiled myself with good monitors and have had many Panasonic BT-H series, Sony PVM and BVM series and currently have 1 - $7000.00 HV-M300VSU HD JVC monitor which is my first and only JVC in the last 12 years (I had 3-14" on a linear suite years ago). Sony CRT's Rule period! That said there's always room for improvement and I haven't run around looking at the latest offerings from JVC or Ikegami or other manufactures. Sony BVM are superb but aside from the picture quality is the shielding built in. Where my Panasonics are effected by a computer monitor near by and vis versa and the JVC needs to be adjusted according to which direction it is facing with regards to the earth's polarity (for real) the BVM's don't shudder no matter what they are near. I just bought a PVM14-L2 used which is not here yet but I'm kind of anxious to see what it's like. I'm expecting to see Sony crt quality.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dan HumphreyRe: Choosing a pro monitor
by on Feb 28, 2007 at 6:23:14 pm

Thanks for the tips. Other than component inputs are there any other must haves?

Dan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]