Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

FCP7 and OSX Maverick Working

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Steve WalkerFCP7 and OSX Maverick Working
by on Oct 23, 2013 at 11:38:01 am

Only last week I thought I would risk installing 10.8 Mountain Lion so I could use Davinci Resolve 9. Previously alot of user comments about FCP7 not working had put me off the upgrading my 2009 Macbook Pro for a long time.
Well that worked no problem so when OSX Maverick got released , and was free I thought what the hell. Lets do it.
About 10 minutes into updating my 17" 2009 8Gb Macbook Pro, Intel 3.06Ghz, I read Larry Jordans warning not to go down this road. I must admit, it did have me panicking for the next 90 minutes!

Well it installed with one error message 'SILICON IMAGE DRIVER INCOMPATIBILITY' stating its being moved to an incombatibilty folder, where ever that is?

That lost driver vSil3132_1.7.5 that I updated when I installed Mountain Lion, resulted in my external 2Tb Lacie via SATA II Express Card 34 not working, it could see the card but not the drive. I downloaded a very old driver for it v Sil3132_1.2.3.0 and hey presto I can now see my storage drives again!

Now the big questions, will FCS3, Logic Audio 9, Davinci Resolve 9 Lite and Adobe CS5 all work again?

Well I can report so far so good.
All open upp ok, I threw a few shots on the timeline of FCP7, fiddled with some color and resizing, sent to compressor and watched the H.264 file back no problem.

I'll be probing a little further when I finish the Quantel edit shift!!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+4

Matt DunneRe: FCP7 and OSX Maverick Working
by on Oct 23, 2013 at 2:03:17 pm

Thanks for sharing Steve you're much braver than I. I have switched to Premiere but still have some projects that require FCP7 so I've been biting my nails watching these forums.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Derek DockendorfRe: FCP7 and OSX Maverick Working
by on Oct 23, 2013 at 5:15:28 pm

Thanks so much for this info. I did the install on my MBP last night and didn't have any issues so I thought why not this morning and installed it on my MacPro workstation. As soon as the install finished I had the same Silicon Imaging driver problem and panicked as that was my two main working RAIDs. But with your help found the right driver and all is good in the world.

FCP7 seems to be working like normal but I haven't tried any AJA outputs yet. Premiere CC and X are screaming fast. I'm sure I'll run into some compatibility issues here and there but hopefully they will get sorted out just like the eSata card.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Steve WalkerRe: FCP7 and OSX Maverick Working
by on Oct 23, 2013 at 5:40:09 pm

I can also add that DVD Studio Pro 4 is working, so that's the full FCS3 done. Also my Digital Heaven and Crumplepop FCP plug ins are all working fine.

Only thing thats thrown a wobbler so far is Open Office 4.0.1. I just deleted a folder from the Library and got that back up and running.

6 hours in and all's just fine and dandy!

Steve Walker
BBC Senior Tech Op. Editor/Sound Mixer
FCP-Quantel-Avid

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Dave LaRondeRe: FCP7 and OSX Maverick Working
by on Oct 24, 2013 at 2:30:21 am

Isn't this the first time in... well, years, when the OS isn't the name of a kitty cat? I wonder how they fell out of favor? I was kinda hopin' for Ocelot myself. Or Manx: no tail, y'know.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

by on Oct 24, 2013 at 3:40:16 pm

Ocelot sounds like one of them companies from a Bond movie. The villainous ones that want to run the world. Not like Apple or MS.

Note to add to a further incompatibility. I had to update the driver for my M-Audio Firewire 410 Audio/Midi Interface. I just got the latest one for OSX 10.7 or higher from M Audio site.
All working fine again in FCP VO Tool.

It was worth downloading for the tagging in Finder. It seems pretty stable so far folks.

Steve Walker
FCP-Quantel-Avid

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

Christopher McDonellRe: FCP7 and OSX Maverick Working
by on Oct 29, 2013 at 1:17:03 am

[Steve Walker] "It was worth downloading for the tagging in Finder. It seems pretty stable so far folks."
Awesome news. Who wouldn't want the latest OS to run their EDL of choice? For me, I can't wait to finally have tabs in Finder.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Christian WalterRe: FCP7 and OSX Maverick Working
by on Oct 30, 2013 at 9:35:45 pm

got it to run but could not install 7.03 update!
+ when i opened a project the colors were way off
saturated and dark???

any ideas?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Christopher McDonellRe: FCP7 and OSX Maverick Working
by on Oct 30, 2013 at 9:57:51 pm

Did you lost QT Pro 7 along the way? Or is it installed too?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 1, 2013 at 1:49:50 am

I already had the 7.0.3 update before upgrading to first Mountain Lion and then Maverick. It's still behaving normally with multiple video layers, colour and effects.

Perhaps Maverick messed up your display profile?? Try re-calibrating from System Preferences. Or perhaps it's incompatible with 7.0

Steve Walker
FCP-Quantel-Avid

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Christian WalterRe: FCP7 and OSX Maverick Working
by on Nov 1, 2013 at 1:19:30 pm

so i got it to work,
the problemwas the external display was connected via hdmi,
switched to thunderbolt and everything is working fine now,
just not able to update to 7.03

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Josiah EastwoodRe: FCP7 and OSX Maverick Working
by on Nov 28, 2013 at 4:24:49 am

Hey I've just upgraded too, FCP is running fine but I have an m-audio firewire 410 that is hating life. It won't connect, the little blue power LED just keeps flashing. I've downloaded the latest driver so I can reinstall it but the install package wont open. It keeps saying that the install package is damaged...

Which driver worked for you? I've been through a few of them and none of them work... What is the name of the DMG that worked for you? Thanks!!!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 28, 2013 at 8:41:21 am

Hey,

I was previously running Firewire OSX 1 9 3.dmg which didn't work after Maverick upgrade.
So far Firewire OSX 1 10 3.dmg is working great. It works within Logic and FCP7 no problem.
Good luck.

Steve Walker
FCP-Quantel-Avid

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

michael freundRe: FCP7 and OSX Maverick Working
by on Oct 31, 2013 at 5:17:55 pm

i installed maverick on 2011 imac 27 inch. works amazingly well, the second display support with each becoming its own desktop is fantastic. many other things as well. speed on virtually every operation in all apps is noticably faster. CS 5.5 great. FCP 7 no problem. soundtrack pro ditto.

have not tried motion.

compressor 4.0 does NOT seem to open. which i use every day. compressor 3.5 does open, which i haven't used in years. so i guess i am back to operability.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]