Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Canon C300 skipping frames

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Roger WatlingCanon C300 skipping frames
by on Jul 16, 2013 at 8:16:27 am

Hi All

Any thoughts on this?
Our delivery Specs say that we have to edit and deliver in Prores HQ but can shoot on the C300. After upresing the MXFs, it seems that the camera has broken down the longer shots into 5 min 15 sec slugs.

This causes there to appear to be a missing frame at this point

Any thoughts?

Old editors never die, we simply fade to black

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: Canon C300 skipping frames
by on Jul 16, 2013 at 9:50:42 am

[Roger Watling] "After upresing the MXFs,"

Uprezing? Do you mean converting? How did you convert the footage? FCP will do this internally via Log and Transfer, as long as you install the Canon XF log and transfer plugin.

[Roger Watling] " it seems that the camera has broken down the longer shots into 5 min 15 sec slugs. This causes there to appear to be a missing frame at this point"

FCP will stitch them together so there is no frame missing. Avid and Adobe will as well. Whatever converter you used, did something wrong.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ryan HolmesRe: Canon C300 skipping frames
by on Jul 16, 2013 at 1:40:36 pm

[Roger Watling] " After upresing the MXFs, it seems that the camera has broken down the longer shots into 5 min 15 sec slugs. "

Echoing what Shane said, the C300 doesn't split clips unless the camera op hits the start/stop button. The C300 can record for the entire length of the CF card (16GB, 32GB, 64GB, etc.). When you ingest the footage the NLE will usually compensate for the FAT32 file structure that the C300 utilizes and join spanned clips so us editors only see 1 continuous clip. So it sounds like however it was logged and transferred it was done incorrectly or got interrupted.

And what does upresing the MXF's mean? Were they shot at 720p instead of 1080? Or do you mean rewrapping them from MXF to mov (termed "transcoding").

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Roger WatlingRe: Canon C300 skipping frames
by on Jul 17, 2013 at 6:41:05 am

Hi

OK perhaps I'm using the wrong terminology.

We need to work in ProRes HQ as this is what most of the rest of the footage is in.

and indeed it is the spanned files that I'm trying to get to run continuously (we are learning here)

I have tried log and transfer from the files that have been copied onto the server but it does nothing, I've also tried right clicking on the log and transfer window but it comes back with incomplete card structure.

http://www.watling.org.uk/File_structure.jpg

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Roger WatlingRe: Canon C300 skipping frames
by on Jul 17, 2013 at 9:18:46 am

Buggered if I know why but log and transfer now seems to work,

Thanks all

Old editors never die, we simply fade to black

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook