Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Upgraded mac but still have very slow render and export times in FCP 7...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Amid WilliamsUpgraded mac but still have very slow render and export times in FCP 7...
by on Mar 20, 2013 at 8:15:21 pm

Hello all,

I recently purchased a new mac with a 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7 processor and with 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 of memory and I'm editing a 30 minute bar mitzvah. The event was shot on the Canon XH-A1 in 1080i at 60i and there were some lighting issues (sequence settings were set to match).

As far as filters, I ended up having to purchase Neat Video's noise reduction plug-in and it is used on most of the clips (I have noticed that this filter has a bug and crashes FCP occasionally). I also had to bump up the highlights (using Lyric's free plug-in) on most clips and there are 4 lower thirds title bars done in After Effects which are 10 seconds each and I also added color correction throughout with the 3 way color corrector.

Rendering the whole final sequence is taking 4-6 hours and exporting to quicktime to make a self-contained movie is also taking that amount of time or longer. When I bring that file into Compressor to make an MPEG-2 for DVD Studio Pro, it's taking even longer. Can anyone suggest anything to help with the render times or am I going to experience this type of thing with these scenarios? I never had this issue on my MacBook Pro, which was exponentially a slower machine.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: Upgraded mac but still have very slow render and export times in FCP 7...
by on Mar 20, 2013 at 8:46:26 pm

Did you use all the same filters on that laptop? Neat video does take quite some time to render...it's processing a lot.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Amid WilliamsRe: Upgraded mac but still have very slow render and export times in FCP 7...
by on Mar 20, 2013 at 9:38:10 pm

I did use it previously, but not throughout a whole project as I had on this one. Do you think it's that render intensive that it would cause my machine to bog down with its capabilities?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Amid WilliamsRe: Upgraded mac but still have very slow render and export times in FCP 7...
by on Mar 20, 2013 at 9:49:36 pm

...and when I said I used "it" previously, I was referring to Neat Video. I have also used the other filters quite often, but not as much Noise Reduction as I did on this project.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: Upgraded mac but still have very slow render and export times in FCP 7...
by on Mar 20, 2013 at 10:01:18 pm

[Amid Williams] "I did use it previously, but not throughout a whole project as I had on this one"

The more places you use it...the longer the render times will be. If you use it twice as much, your render times will increase nearly two fold.

[Amid Williams] " Do you think it's that render intensive that it would cause my machine to bog down with its capabilities?"

Yes...it is render intensive. Filters that de-noise and smooth out video typically require a lot of processing. That means longer renders. And if you used it sparingly before, and now use it more...yes, render times will increase.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Mar 20, 2013 at 10:17:09 pm

Thank you for the info! Next time I'll get it right during the shoot and won't have to use it much again! ;)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sascha EngelRe: Upgraded mac but still have very slow render and export times in FCP 7...
by on Mar 22, 2013 at 4:51:00 pm

Only thing that still puzzles me: He says, that the final QT File, when taken into compressor takes as well super long to encode for DVD. That is strange, since it is not connected to the Neat Video Filter anymore at all.

Greetz,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 22, 2013 at 5:24:00 pm

Sascha,

I seems like my major issue was that I was editing on an HDV timeline instead of Pro Res. I changed it to Pro Res and everything seemed to run pretty fast. I got answers from Shane and someone else on an Apple forum:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/21567349#21567349

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]