Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Attention color ninjas: 5D MkII JPEG colors are washed out in Final Cut Pro compared to Lightroom - why?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Benjamin ReichmanAttention color ninjas: 5D MkII JPEG colors are washed out in Final Cut Pro compared to Lightroom - why?
by on Nov 9, 2012 at 4:52:26 pm

I'm bringing JPEGs (shot with the Canon 5D MkII) into Final Cut Pro 7, after reviewing them in Lightroom (v4.2, the newest version).

What I'm seeing is that Lightroom shows the JPEGs with beautiful rich color and contrast, and Final Cut Pro shows them looking washed out. Maybe a gamma shift, or perhaps also desaturation--I'm not sure, but you can see for yourself in the screenshot below.

What's especially strange is that JPEGs from the GH2 look almost identical in Lightroom and Final Cut Pro, in the same project.

Why is this happening? Is there some processing that Lightroom is doing automatically to the 5D MkII JPEGs that it isn't doing to the GH2 JPEGs? Or is the difference in the FCP side of things?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph OwensRe: Attention color ninjas: 5D MkII JPEG colors are washed out in Final Cut Pro compared to Lightroom - why?
by on Nov 9, 2012 at 6:39:32 pm

Looks like there may be a difference in the tagged profile metadata that determines which scaling is applied incoming to FCP. 0-1023 is obviously different from 64-940, and of course the gamma correction will be applied differently between those two endpoints.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]