Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

green screen footage without motion markers

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Jebster Kropfgreen screen footage without motion markers
by on Oct 30, 2012 at 2:21:15 am

I've discovered I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous to myself and others or at least to some amateur green screen footage. I have some green screen footage with some camera movement that I would like to keep but I'm having trouble syncing it to my static background. It was shot without markers unfortunately. (you don't know what you don't know until you try it and realize you don't know). I also unfortunately do not have access to AE. I'm using FCP 7 on Snow Leopard. Its a stand-alone....I don't have motion. Is there a filter in FCP 7 or possibly a free plugin that might help me sync these two things? Thank you so much in advance for any help.

Where are you from?..........originally.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: green screen footage without motion markers
by on Oct 30, 2012 at 2:33:10 am

Sorry...no plugin. Without tracking markers even a plugin would be hard pressed. You need reference points. You'll either have to reshoot, or try to manually figure this out. But it would be tough for a seasoned compositor to deal with...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark SuszkoRe: green screen footage without motion markers
by on Oct 30, 2012 at 2:38:53 pm

Apple Motion has a tracker in it. The problem/question is, what can it do with the un-markered greenscreen footage? I'd say you have nothing to lose from trying it. Ask Stephen in the Motion forum if he has atrick for this, if one exists, I wager he'll know it.

If that doesn't work, maybe we can figure out a way to add in markers after the fact. I haven't thought this through all the way yet, but I'm thinking about doing something like superimposing a tight grid over the footage and using that for an initial guide. Or maybe what we could try is to first apply smoothcam to the raw footage, then try keyframing it later in the comp process.

One other casual and probably useless thought: you DO have one solid frame of reference: the 4 corners of the frame itself. What if you were to shrink the entire frame in scale and use the actual corners of the frame as part of the anchors?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jebster KropfRe: green screen footage without motion markers
by on Oct 30, 2012 at 6:02:54 pm

Thank you all so much for responding. Its so appreciated that you guys with knowledge so freely share it. Its a real life saver at times. Mark, those are some great suggestions and i'll let you know how it goes.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: green screen footage without motion markers
by on Oct 30, 2012 at 2:42:29 pm

Get to know Motion. You can pull the key and animate the background layer position, then render out a complete shot. You'll get an important lesson in the use of tracking markers. Obviously the background will have to be larger if you want to move it on the screen to match the motion implied in the green screen shot: if you can't do so, you're stuck.

Don't simply add the Motion project to FCP and use it as a clip: it leads to trouble if you archive the entire project, then want to revisit it at a later time using different software versions.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steven CohenRe: green screen footage without motion markers
by on Oct 30, 2012 at 6:02:40 pm

[Jebster Kropf] " I'm using FCP 7 on Snow Leopard. Its a stand-alone....I don't have motion. "

Everyone had great suggestions, but the original question said he had a stand alone version of Final cut and did not have motion.

I'm not sure how that is, unless he just didn't install it, because I didn't think Final Cut came in a stand alone version anymore.

Steve.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jebster KropfRe: green screen footage without motion markers
by on Oct 30, 2012 at 6:08:54 pm

I didn't install it steve....it was already on a machine I sort of inherited for lack of a better word. The machine I'm on is slowly dying and has some problems so the organization I work for bought a brand new one and allowed me to take the old one home to hopefully complete the project I'm working on before it dies.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 30, 2012 at 6:31:09 pm

Well, assuming you can't re-install Motion, you're stuck with just manually keyframing the x/y positions by eye.

How I would approach this is to start with the first and last keyframe, then establish the center keyframe, and keep sub-dividing the timeline on either side of the established keyframes so as to have the minimum number of manual keyframes set, letting the machine interpolate as much as possible.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Scott SheriffRe: green screen footage without motion markers
by on Oct 30, 2012 at 7:06:12 pm

This is something you can fake with Motion, but will require a lot of labor since it's not really something Motion was designed for. Let me throw out an alternative to Motion. You can do this with Shake. Analyze the movement on a clip, and apply that movement to another. No need to manually animate the movement like you would in Motion. The keyers are also top notch, and there are a lot of other features that make it one stop shopping for fixing production mistakes and FX work.
Even though Shake has been EOL'd for quite a while, it's an FX powerhouse you can buy for bargain prices. There are still NOS copies of Shake available, and plenty of used. I've seen copies for as little as 99 dollars used, but 200 will probably get you one that is NOS, or a lightly used copy with some extras.
AE or a high end FX/compositing program like Nuke or Smoke is your other choices.

For tips on installing Shake on Snow Leopard systems check out my blog: http://s290368705.onlinehome.us/2010/10/01/shake-41-and-snow-leopard/

Scott Sheriff
SST Digital Media
Multi-Camera Director, VFX and Post Production

The Affordable Camera Dolly is your just right solution!

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 30, 2012 at 8:05:21 pm

Might try this on the free Smoke demo, for that matter, I guess.

(People still own/use Shake?)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Scott SheriffRe: green screen footage without motion markers
by on Oct 30, 2012 at 8:37:49 pm

[Mark Suszko] "Might try this on the free Smoke demo, for that matter, I guess."

Good idea, it's worth a try.

[Mark Suszko] "(People still own/use Shake?)"

Absolutely. They just don't hang out on the cow forums. If you went to the movies this year, you probably saw material that went through the Shake pipeline. In addition to a lot of freelancers, a bunch of big shops bought the source code from apple when it went EOL, and continue to use it alongside Nuke and other compositors. At the price you can buy it for now, compared to lets say, the cost of a Nuke license it's almost silly not to own it. It'll pay for itself the first time you use it, even if you just use it to fix a bad slomo, a unusable key or some FX or repair you can't do in FCS.

Scott Sheriff
SST Digital Media
Multi-Camera Director, VFX and Post Production

The Affordable Camera Dolly is your just right solution!

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph OwensRe: green screen footage without motion markers
by on Oct 30, 2012 at 11:57:50 pm

[Mark Suszko] "(People still own/use Shake?)"

Oh, yes.

Some days I don't know what I'd do without it. Its a no-BS scripting application that lets you build your own FX, has an infinite workspace and is the last line of defence against corrupt or non-standard files.

Of course being a really useful application meant that Apple had no use for it. I could almost see it occupying a kind of cult environment like the old Papyrus Grand Prix Legends game that was "too hard" for gamers, but immensely (and still!) popular with people who know how to drive.

On the green screen, if your background has any irregularities, like drop cloth folds or paint marks, sometimes that is enough to grab hold of with a point tracker. I prefer MochaPro now, which can deal with unmarked elements, as long as you can define a plane.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]