Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

missing codec

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
david Hartmanmissing codec
by on Oct 25, 2012 at 6:21:41 am

So after many many hours of research i have figured out what my problem is and now i just need a solution. So i have a black magic intensity pro capture card in my pc. and the out it gives me is a large raw 720p video. i can import it into FCP and drag it to the time line , when i try to render it says missing codec. it also says this when trying to convert it in compressor. at the moment im using the mpeg converter to mov just to see if that works, but i would prefer not to use this method as i would like raw video for best quality and not to add another step to the process. i put the avi video file in vlc and i got this info

stream 0

type video
codec packed YUV 4:2:2, U:Y:VY(UYVY)
resolution 1280x720
display resolution 1280x720
frame rate 59.940060

stream 1

type audio
codec PCM s16LE (araw)
channels stero
sample rate 48000Hz
bits per sample 16

i understand a small part of this , so if some one could point to what to download and where to put it that would be great, any more info just ask.

thanks , david

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

david HartmanRe: missing codec
by on Nov 1, 2012 at 4:05:20 am

bump

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Daniel SametzRe: missing codec
by on Nov 1, 2012 at 6:22:50 am

Convert it to Prores in mpge streamclip. Of there's any loss it would be minimal. Check your convertion with your original just to be sure.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 1, 2012 at 6:40:00 am

ya i saw that before while i was trying things, though i only saw it on the mac version, is there a way to get the setting on the windows version, because my pc has a ton of more ram and space than my mac laptop. also thats where the files are originally. thanks for the help.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 1, 2012 at 3:36:33 pm

Well if you want to edit in FC then you do have to convert and use a Mac. I Think that Adobe Premiere can handle YUV but you have to check as I have never used but if you can then you can use your PC. :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 1, 2012 at 4:20:30 pm

well my pc has 16gb of ram and 2tb hard drive compared to my 4gb ram <500gb hard drive, and i'm going to have to move the 80+ gb files between the two using a 500gb external hard drive, that and i don't own premiere pro, so ya you do the math lol. is yuv equivalent to prores?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 1, 2012 at 6:38:46 pm

To be honest I have no idea if YUV is equal to Prores. FC doesn't use or needs more than 4GB of RAM. Of course I would recomend you to use the better computer but since you don't have Premiere or Avid on the PC I think you are stuck with Mac. There's trials of bot programs I think but if you are going to edit for a long period of time i would not recomend it.
There are also monthly fees for the use of Premiere so that maybe an option for you.
what's your final destination? DVD, Web, cinema?

But no matter what you do I would recomend that you put all your media on a different drive than your OS HDD. A disk with firewire 800 will do the trick.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 1, 2012 at 6:54:45 pm

i think were getting off topic here, i have no desire to use premiere, i just wanted to use my pc just for the converting step. but any way i got a way to link my my mac and pc over the web and converted it to prores but now im getting audio but no video , both in and out of FC, and there was video before. im wondering if theres a setting im missing in mpeg?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]