Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Unique special effect

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Jebster KropfUnique special effect
by on Oct 3, 2012 at 9:43:24 pm

This is a sort of bizarre request so please bear with me. I'm doing a kids video for my church for Christmas and my human actors are all playing some sort of insect or bug. I have a lady playing a spider who is up in a corner of a window sill. I'm trying to create an effect (I have already shot the green screen footage), where the lady has her arm up in the air and it appears she is lowering herself down from the top of window sill. What I need to know is, how do I create the spider thread that "appears" as if it is coming out of her hand as she lowers herself down. I've already keyframed the footage of her coming down. As it sits now, it just looks like she is floating slowly to the bottom of the window sill on an invisible elevator with her arm over her head. I want it to look like there is thread coming from her hand and that is what she is hanging from. I hope this is clear. If it isn't, please email me for a clearer description. Thank you in advance all who reply. I'm really stuck in how to create this.

jimkropf@gmail.com

Where are you from?..........originally.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph OwensRe: Unique special effect
by on Oct 3, 2012 at 11:16:34 pm

Create a color generator... white, I guess. Overlay it on the descending spider.
In the Motion tab, crop the left and right hand sides of the picture until it is a "single strand" lined up with the spider's spinneret, hand or leg or whatever. Animate a "Bottom" crop with keyframes so the line appears from the top of the screen and seems to unreel as the spider descends. This may or may not be convincing depending on how realistic your keyframed descent is.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jebster KropfRe: Unique special effect
by on Oct 4, 2012 at 12:04:34 am

Joseph....Thank you so much, this is incredibly helpful and it can possibly work but I'm running into a slight snag. I'm using black color just because there is a white-ish background but the issue I'm running into is this: I'm getting a strand so thin it can barely be seen or, literally, one single click either way on the "crop" feature in the motion tab and my line is way too thick. Is there something that gives a finer control over the line or is this something I have to create in something like photoshop and then just import?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 4, 2012 at 1:01:05 am

Joseph....Thank you so much, this is incredibly helpful and it can possibly work but I'm running into a slight snag. I'm using black color just because there is a white-ish background but the issue I'm running into is this: I'm getting a strand so thin it can barely be seen or, literally, one single click either way on the "crop" feature in the motion tab and my line is way too thick. Is there something that gives a finer control over the .........

Nevermind, Joseph, I'm an idiot....apparently I'm just learning what a decimal point does....sheesh lol.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark SuszkoRe: Unique special effect
by on Oct 4, 2012 at 3:05:07 pm

Use the Scale control to fatten-up the thread without changing the crop. Use thew wireframe controls for an easy interactive position and c\scale control.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steven CohenRe: Unique special effect
by on Oct 4, 2012 at 3:57:25 pm

I think you can also type in a number to the crop like 1.3 or 1.25.
just keep adjusting it until you get a thread you like.

Steve.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph OwensRe: Unique special effect
by on Oct 4, 2012 at 6:41:21 pm

There you go.

So, adding in things yet like sway... bounce... ?

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 6, 2012 at 10:05:22 pm

Not yet Joseph....I might play with sway and bounce a bit later. I'm still in a teensy bit of hurry even though its only Oct. I also happen to be directing this, what I VERY affectionately term, a train wreck of a play so we'll see if time allows. The effect is certainly cute if not entirely realistic. Would love to get your opinion on it though. Is there a way to upload something directly to CreativeCow or do I upload to youtube and then just post a link?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]