Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

necessity of doing a pulldown with DVCPRO 24 frame footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Stephen Franciosanecessity of doing a pulldown with DVCPRO 24 frame footage
by on Oct 1, 2012 at 7:55:42 pm

I was just wondering, is it necessary to do a pull down with DVCPro footage shot at 23.98. Now it comes in at a 29.97 sequence which I usually edit it. However Ive been noticing the 24 looks better when it rev telecine it in cine tools. however before i start doing this with everything, should I? Does it make a difference if its going to tv or the web?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: necessity of doing a pulldown with DVCPRO 24 frame footage
by on Oct 1, 2012 at 8:13:27 pm

Knowing where it will end up is everything. If your TV deliverable is 29.97, then you should leave it will the pulldown added. If you are delivering to the web, the web doesn't like interlacing, which is what 1080i 24p is...interlaced to smooth out the pulldown. In that case, you will either have to deinterlace, or remove after the fact.

It all depends on the final deliverable.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: necessity of doing a pulldown with DVCPRO 24 frame footage
by on Oct 2, 2012 at 1:33:10 am

Shane's right about the delivery, but if you want to be ready for anything, remove the pulldown. You don't have to worry about cutting on the wrong frame, you can do motion graphics easier... and you can always add the pulldown back in for 29.97.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stephen FranciosaRe: necessity of doing a pulldown with DVCPRO 24 frame footage
by on Oct 2, 2012 at 2:25:24 am

good to know. thanks a lot. is it too late to pulldown the footage after its already edited? or will that shift the edit points?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: necessity of doing a pulldown with DVCPRO 24 frame footage
by on Oct 2, 2012 at 3:24:24 am

You can remove pulldown and copy-paste your footage into a new 23.976 (aka 23.98) timeline, but there will be gaps to fix. That's inherent with removing pulldown after the fact.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]