Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

OMF export from FC wrong! :(

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Esther CasasOMF export from FC wrong! :(
by on Oct 1, 2012 at 6:11:45 pm

Dear all!
I really need you help as my frustration got to the limits...
So, here is what is happening:

I have a movie with all the audio files on it (all aif files) and I have to export them as OMFs the sound designer. Well, I do export (and add 10 seconds handle with no cross fades and nothing else selected), so export and 00:00:10:00, rate 48KHZ and 16-but depth.

I have 21 total tracks: The audio files are AIFs,and each of them is a small segment of a very long audio clip, meaning we cut some selected segments from one file that had different takes on the same clip.I export with no cross fades as I was told that might be the problem...but have the same one!
The PROBLEM:

I import these OMFs into soundtrack pro (just import OMFs) and what it shows is a clip that is always disappearing(always the same, track A11, but only one piece, the rest on this track is there)) and also some of the clips are longer than they should be, meaning that OMFs are picking up VOs from the rest of the clip,like if teh clip was never cut in final cut(???), a big disaster!!!

I found out because the sound guy imported them in protools and told me...as i had no idea i needed to check this!

MY SETTINGS:
Final Cut Pro 7.0.3:
My sequence settings are: 2048X1152
apple prores422
audio settings: 48kHz 16-bit and config: channel grouped (DOES THIS MATTER? SHOULD I SWITCH TO discrete channels or stereo downmix ??)I don't want to change anything yet just in case..

Can someone help? this is totally delaying my delivery and everything else :(((
thank you all...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: OMF export from FC wrong! :(
by on Oct 1, 2012 at 7:50:17 pm

Does it need to be an OMF? Can it be an AAF? OMFs from FCP can get funky. First try an AAF export from FCP, and then if that doesn't work, get Automatic Duck Pro export 4.0 (Now FREE!) and export an AAF using that. See if the same happens.

OMF is a VERY ancient technology, full of all sorts of legacy garbage.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Esther CasasRe: OMF export from FC wrong! :(
by on Oct 1, 2012 at 8:22:14 pm

They have to be OMFS...

THE ONLY THING I DIDN'T SAY BEFORE IS THAT SOME OF THE CLIPS ARE MONO AND SOME STEREO, ALSO SOME ARE 44KHZ AND SOME 48KHZ..DO I HAVE TO IMPORT IN COMPRESSOR AND MAKE ALL OF THEM THE SAME???

Also, does Automatic Duck Pro export 4.0 export OMFs from FC? The sound guy can't really work with AAFs...

this Thank you!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 1, 2012 at 8:24:24 pm

Ah yes, sound guys and their OLD software. THey do hang onto it forever. because they can. Sorta...then they put us in these situations.

44.1Khz audio is a problem. ALL audio in FCP must be 48K. Mono is fine, but it must be 48K or there will be issues doing what you are trying to do.

And the Duck does do OMF...from what I recall. I initally used it for that, when OMFs out of FCP just plain sucked.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 1, 2012 at 9:02:56 pm

hah, funny enough Shane, I agree with these old stuff...it's not cool..

I will try to change some of the OMFs that are not working into 48Khz, but not ALL of them are wrong, some of them are ok and are 44.1Khz...!!! that this makes sense??

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 1, 2012 at 9:17:24 pm

And btw, another question: The sound guy is asking me to export 10 seconds of handle. When i import OMFs into soundtrack pro I should be hearing extra audio at the beginning and end of every clip or the clips are supposed to be the same as in FC? i ask because I just realized this extra stuff that I hear on the clips are the handles? or I am not really supposed to hear them and only when you pull out the clip??

THANKS!!!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Neil PatienceRe: OMF export from FC wrong! :(
by on Oct 1, 2012 at 10:15:50 pm

You should not hear the handles when you play the sequence - the handles are only there, as you say, when you pull out the clip.
So it should be your exact sequence as you hear it in FCP but with 10 secs extra media available at the start and end of every clip.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 2, 2012 at 3:23:03 pm

Thanks NEIL!

I AM CHANGING ALL THE 44.1KHZ to 48KHZ. Also, there are some files that are .wav Are these files a problem? I am also changing them into AIFs, but these files are actually fine in SOUNTRACK PRO. The ones that are wrong are others AIFs at 48Khz...Maybe these wav files (44.Khz ) are causing my other files 48Khz to be all randomly screwed when exporting OMFs?

does this makes sense?

I am anyway consolidating everything AIf@48Khz...see what happens then...

thank you!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 2, 2012 at 3:34:16 pm

WAV files are fine. FCP works with them fine.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 2, 2012 at 4:31:50 pm

So xporting from final cut pro OMFs from a combination of AIFs, WAVs and m4a files is fine as long as all the files are in the same bit rate (48Khz)correct?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 2, 2012 at 4:38:20 pm

AIFF and WAV...no m4a files. Those won't carry over properly either.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 2, 2012 at 6:56:33 pm

ok guys, so now I have all my files as AIFs and still, some of my files, when exporting into OMFs, they appear to be either cut to early or some are even longer. The only think that is different is that these files are MONO and not stereo, is that the issue??? I will do some tests but didn't knwo that could cause such a big annoying process, is taking me already two days to figure out what is going on....

i hate OMFs...
thinking to do test and split my sequence in two or three to see if that resolves the issue??

any other ideas??

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 2, 2012 at 11:15:26 pm

Hello Shane!

I have now a project with only AIFFs, i had to switch some mono to stereo in order to have a proper OMF export..no wit seems to be ok. But in order to make sure all my OMFs are fine. I just exported the project as a singles AIFF clip just to make sure the sync is perfect.
If I place the file exactly at the beginning of the whole sequence, the whole OMF file is off a bit (only some frames), so is there a specific export settings i need to do on soundtrack pro in order to have this file in exact sync with my AIFF clips in final cut? (the original ones where i got these OMF export from).

thanks again! getting closer...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 2, 2012 at 11:20:20 pm

Sorry, I don't know. I've only imported two OMF's into Soundtrack Pro, and both worked. Typically I hand audio off.

Closer though...closer.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 2, 2012 at 11:33:54 pm

i know..getting there...mmm...will post to see if somebody have done it.
Thaks for all your help Shane!!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael GissingRe: OMF export from FC wrong! :(
by on Oct 3, 2012 at 4:07:53 am

OMFs from FCP are rock solid. I don't know if STP is solid importing OMFs and from FCP you do a send to STP rather than OMF.

More important is to make sure that FCP only has 48khz wav or aif files in 16 or 24 bit. Anything else should be pre converted before edit and certainly converted and replaced before exporting anything.

FCP sequence settings should also be 48khz. Sequence can be 32 bit as this is the sequence setting. Exported OMFs can be 16 or 24 bit. All decent DAWs imported properly made OMFs from FCP without errors unless there is file corruption in the FCP project. Such corruption may be masked by render files playing OK but the source file is a problem.

There is nothing wrong with OMF as it is a robust legacy format and actually more reliable than AAF. It remains the benchmark delivery for sound post. It is that very reliability that makes it preferred to AAF which also requires DAW owners to cough up an extra license fee for no real gain.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 3, 2012 at 4:16:13 am

Hi Michael,
I have my settings right then in FCP. The only thing i need to knwo now is how to export OMFs properly and with what program i can import them back into FCP in order to check that my OMFs are synced properly before I deliver them to the sound guy...

So how can i send OMFs into Sountrack Pro then?
thanks again!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Neil PatienceRe: OMF export from FC wrong! :(
by on Oct 4, 2012 at 7:00:27 am

You cant import OMFs into FCP directly but you could try the now free
http://www.automaticduck.com/products/download/
Pro Import for FCP lets you import OMF.

As Michael says usually FCP OMF is usually solid - I am not really sure about Soundtrack Pro though so maybe if you can use the Duck option at least you can compare to the pics right inside FCP and it will be easy to see if anything has shifted/truncated etc etc

Hope that helps

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark SpanoRe: OMF export from FC wrong! :(
by on Oct 5, 2012 at 6:04:14 pm

Saying anything to the effect of "OMFs from FCP are solid" is laughable for me in my work. For example: any OMF created in FCP from a 23.976p timeline shows up in Pro Tools as 24.0fps. In other words, everything out of sync.

As Shane suggests, use the (amazingly now free) Automatic Duck Pro Export FCP and make AAF files and be done with any of your problems. It's free, works insanely better than FCP's shabby built-in OMF exporter - what more do you want?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]