Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

GH2 sharpening for FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Rick Tejada FloresGH2 sharpening for FCP
by on Sep 18, 2012 at 7:55:58 pm

The consensus on shooting with GH2s is to set the sharpness at -2 and sharpen in post. In FCP settings do people recommend?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: GH2 sharpening for FCP
by on Sep 18, 2012 at 10:42:10 pm

I wouldn't use in-camera sharpening AT ALL. It does more harm to the image than it does good to it.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rick Tejada FloresRe: GH2 sharpening for FCP
by on Sep 19, 2012 at 1:19:35 am

I'm afraid that I didn't express my question well. I do not want to sharpen in camera, but am not sure if there is a general rule of how much sharpening to apply in FCP.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: GH2 sharpening for FCP
by on Sep 19, 2012 at 2:49:49 am

I can honestly say that I have never heard of any "standard" sharpening, nor any kind of sharpening at all.

The FCP editors I know agree that if the footage has been shot properly, there is no need for it.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael GissingRe: GH2 sharpening for FCP
by on Sep 19, 2012 at 2:54:45 am

The sharpening plugin in FCP is just as bad as most DSLR cameras. I use either a plugin from Lyric called the Unsharpen Mask or the various sharpening option in the FX Factory bundle.

I have tried the sharpen in Color but I refer the Lyric for quick and good or FX Factory for more specific control.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rafael AmadorRe: GH2 sharpening for FCP
by on Sep 19, 2012 at 4:47:33 am

Yeh.
-2 in camera sharpening is what most people use on the GH2 to get less video like and more filmic look, but that doesn't smooth the picture enough to need sharpening in post. If your Gh2 picture is not sharp is not due to that in camera setting.
Applying Sharpening in post is quite complicated. NeatVideo can do it very well, but you must have a good monitor, good eye and make many tests.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alex ElkinsRe: GH2 sharpening for FCP
by on Sep 19, 2012 at 1:25:16 pm

[Rick Tejada Flores] " In FCP settings do people recommend?"

When people talk about sharpening in post, they tend to be talking about doing this during the grade. The standard Sharpen filter in FCP is dreadful.

Whether and how much you sharpen all depends on the camera and lens combination used, as all will have slightly different degrees of sharpness even if the focus on-set is perfect. I find the GH2 to be quite sharp anyway, so use your judgement first before assuming a one-size-fits-all policy when it comes to sharpening.

Alex Elkins
Twitter: @postbluetv
http://www.postblue.tv
Post Blue showreel
Latest work: Greyhounds in Motion at 500fps
My Vimeo Pro page

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

William CarrRe: GH2 sharpening for FCP
by on Sep 24, 2012 at 1:58:25 am

Among who is this consensus? Using GH2 systems for 2 years and never had issues (if shot well).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]