Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Lost Exprt Quality in FC

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Eric GliddenLost Exprt Quality in FC
by on Sep 17, 2012 at 7:22:48 pm

I've created a timelapse video of photos compiled in QT Pro then tossed into FCE. I'm happy with the quality of the workflow on FCE but when I export it to Vimeo, some quality is lost. Just enough to make the pictures seem a little pixely. I've been using recommended H.264 compression, size setting etc from other people who have uploaded before. I've put the video below but again the version on my computer is clearer. Is there anything I can do about this?

Eric

https://vimeo.com/49567682

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: Lost Exprt Quality in FC
by on Sep 17, 2012 at 7:32:23 pm

When I edit a TV show...and color correct it...it looks really good on my system. Looks great! But then I deliver it to the network, and when I watch it on the air, it doesn't look as great as it did on my system. Colors might be off...the image will be softer. And the thing is, I used my TV when I played back the footage...the same TV I'm using to watch it.

What happened?

Well...you and I have a similar situation happening. What looks good to us at full resolution, on our systems, doesn't look as good as it does when shown by the method of distribution that we have.

What happened to me? Well, the show I delivered was compressed by the network to a broadcast MPEG format...loss in quality. Then they broadcast that and it is then picked up by various other distribution channels...Time Warner, Comcast, Dish, DirecTV...and again compressed on their end. So what I sent out was compressed a couple of times.

Something similar is happening to you. You compressed...and then uploaded to Vimeo. And guess what they did? COMPRESSED IT AGAIN! Notice that once you upload the site then says "preparing your video?" That's them compressing it to maximize it for their servers and streaming playback. PLUS...it will be playing back various people's computer monitors, set up to show colors in many many different ways.

This is something you have ZERO control over. All you can do is make sure you deliver the best quality possible. How it is compressed, or viewed by others, is out of your hands.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 17, 2012 at 7:38:39 pm

I even have a podcast on this topic.

http://lfhd.net/2012/07/20/the-edit-bay-ep-39-how-it-ends-up-looking/

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Eric GliddenRe: Lost Exprt Quality in FC
by on Sep 18, 2012 at 2:11:59 am

Thank you. That does make a lot of sense. So do you think switching my workflow to RAW images instead of JPEG would make it so I am happier with my final product? (because there are plenty of timelapse videos with very nice quality of course, and thats what I'm shooting for).

Eric

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 18, 2012 at 6:08:29 am

Doesn't matter. If the end product will be highly compressed, if you go from high quality JPEG to RAW...it won't matter.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]