Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Bad Audio needs a filter of some sort!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Mark MathewsBad Audio needs a filter of some sort!
by on Aug 29, 2012 at 1:35:37 am

Hi there,

I am not too ofay with the audio effects in FCP, however I have some pretty bad audio that needs to be sorted out. Parts are far too low and other parts are peaking far too much.

Instead of manually affecting each little part (I have over 5 hours of footage) is there a filter that I can set the db levels so it is never lower than 22db and never higher than 10db? If so, how do I use it?

Many Thanks in advance

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shawn HyperRe: Bad Audio needs a filter of some sort!
by on Aug 29, 2012 at 2:39:31 am

For automatical audio level adjustment, audio compressor, which has nothing to do with codec, is the solution. It will lower ,hence compress,the level of loud parts, has no effect on soft parts, thus reduce the difference between loud and soft parts, then add some gain to all the parts, now soft parts will become louder, and compressed loud parts will kind of return to origional level.

I do audio editing on another platform, so don't know the exact audio filter in FCP. Normally you will insert the audio filter compressor at the audio output bus, since it will compress all the audio tracks, or you have to insert a audio compressor per audio track. The parameter settings depend on the actural audio parts, can't give exact settings here.

BTW, it would be better to add another audio filter called limiter behind compressor, for the sake of audio clipping if you add too much gain in compressor.

Too Many Standards = No Standard = Chaos
FCP7, Mac OSX 10.7.4, BMD Multibridge Extreme
Pro Tools HD 1 v 8.1cs1

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]