Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

backing up query

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
heidi schrodingerbacking up query
by on Aug 19, 2012 at 1:00:56 pm

Hi....
FCPX is having so much trouble with my projects, stuttering, losing sync on playback etc, that I feel I need to do a backup asap.
I have my projects on an external 1Tb fire wire hard drive, the FCPX software is on my mac book pro, and just one project is also stored on my Mac book pro ( I could move that also if it makes things easier)

I have bought another cheaper USB hard drive, now I want to back up.

I thought I could just move everything across in one but it doesn't seem that way.

Whats the easiest way to copy ( but not move) my entire media and files in projects and events- in fact everything on the first Hard Drive, onto the new one? I would do this daily, replacing to keep current.

As after 45 minutes of searching I still can't work it out :(
(Damn I am living on/for this forum at the moment)

Thanks in advance,
Cheers.
Heidi

'Getting back into making after a long time off'

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jerry HofmannRe: backing up query
by on Aug 19, 2012 at 2:08:29 pm

Keeping all projects and events on the scratch disk is usually the best way to run things. When you render the files go into the project's folder. So these are media files which work best when played back from a drive other than your startup disk.

That said, if you duplicate an Event, it will copy everything to another drive. You'll find the command in the File menu.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris LehmannRe: backing up query
by on Aug 20, 2012 at 8:32:22 pm

If you work with a lot of large files, backing up to multiple external drives etc. Carbon Copy Cloner will save your butt, and your sanity, on a regular basis. Incremental backup (only copying new or changed data) alone will save you hours and hours and hours of copying, and the option to verify the copies is great peace of mind. Now add that you can schedule all these backups to wake your computer in the middle of the night to do the copy, then shut itself off again... it's a must have. Unfortunately as of a few weeks ago it's no longer free, but try the demo and you'll fall in love.

http://www.bombich.com/

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

heidi schrodingerRe: backing up query
by on Aug 21, 2012 at 12:50:44 am

Sounds awesome and I wil look into it.... is it user friendly for a newbie?
Heidi

'Getting back into making after a long time off'

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris LehmannRe: backing up query
by on Aug 21, 2012 at 3:07:56 pm

Yes, very easy to learn and use. It comes with a set of presets for different tasks, and when you make changes it updates the descriptions with a non-technical "what this task will do". It gives big huge yellow striped warning boxes if you are about to do anything that might cause data loss. Choosing which files to back up is as simple as checking the box next to folders, and it informs you at all times what it's doing.

Technically, this is really just an extremely well made GUI for the very powerful Unix rsync and cron tools built into OSX. This just makes them very usable for people who don't want to learn all the command lines.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]