Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

How to verify video files?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Doug LyonsHow to verify video files?
by on Aug 9, 2012 at 8:58:38 pm

I just finished ingesting 20 hours of footage shot as dvcpro HD 1080i 60 and brought in on a Panasonic 1200A over firewire.
Mostly the video looks fine on my computer monitors but occasionally there appears to be some slight staggering to the motion. Also, 10 tapes out of the 30 had very slight audio sync problems which I attributed to a few dropped frams and hand corrected. But now we're uncertain if there really is a problem with the files. Plus I don't have a true video monitor to check them on.

Is there software that can analyze the footage to verify that it meets specs and there is no field flipping or other problems possibly not visible on computer monitors?

Thanks!

-- A Proud member of the Reality Based Community since 1992.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: How to verify video files?
by on Aug 9, 2012 at 9:20:12 pm

First thing...turn on all the options for dropped frames. "Warn if dropped frames detected," "Abort capture if dropped frames detected," all that. You don't want to drop frames, and you want the capture to stop if it happens. A lot of people get annoyed by those warnings, and turn them off...not realizing that in doing that, they are capturing video with dropped frames. They need to figure out WHY and solve that issue.

Is that what happened here?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Doug LyonsRe: How to verify video files?
by on Aug 9, 2012 at 9:56:53 pm

You are too sane Mr. Shane. Of course, these were turned off... That is the most probably the reason I saw no warnings on capture. But since most of the videos do seem to be good, is there any way after the fact to know if there are dropped frames? Or will only a comparison between the tapes and the capture certify that?
And is there a link to the debugging procedure to find out why there might be dropped frames occurring? The capture drives are fast enough. And to tell you the truth, I haven't had to capture from tape for a few years. Everything's now shot to disk.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 9, 2012 at 10:57:42 pm

[Doug Lyons] "But since most of the videos do seem to be good, is there any way after the fact to know if there are dropped frames?"

Only if you watch them and see it with your eye. There's no internal tool to analyze the footage to see.

[Doug Lyons] "Or will only a comparison between the tapes and the capture certify that?"

Well, you should be able to see that with your eye. If you notice "that just skipped a little," then it most likely dropped frames.

[Doug Lyons] "And is there a link to the debugging procedure to find out why there might be dropped frames occurring?"

YES!

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/ross_shane/fcp_faq.php

#12 Dropped frames on capture/playback

Shane's Stock Answer #12: Dropped frames on capture/playback

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58640

1) Do not capture to your main system drive. Since it is busy reading the operating system and application files, it will intermittently drop frames during capture. Capture to a separate internal drive, or external hard drive (firewire and eSATA for example).

2) Deactivate any anti-virus/filesaver software, including Norton and Virex. For some reason these programs think that the large files created when you capture media are in fact caused by some sort of virus, and they try to prevent this.

3) Check the format of the drive you are capturing to. It should be Mac OS Extended, journaling off. If it isn't, copy your files from it and re-initialize it. If it is any other format, you will encounter problems. If not at first, then eventually.

4) Trash the FCP preference files. Use PREFERENCE MANAGER to do that, available here:
http://www.digitalrebellion.com

5) Make sure that the hard drives you are capturing to are fast enough to handle the footage being captured to it. A regular firewire 400 drive cannot capture uncompressed HD, or even uncompressed standard definition. A RAID array of drives might be in order for these formats.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bret WilliamsRe: How to verify video files?
by on Aug 10, 2012 at 3:49:16 am

[Doug Lyons] " is there any way after the fact to know if there are dropped frames?"

Under Tools, there's the "analyze movie" command. I used to use it all the time to verify if I had dropped frames on a file.

To quote the help manual -
About the Analyze Movie Command
The Analyze Movie command is an extremely useful tool. With it, you can:

Troubleshoot your media files: You can check the properties of your clips’ media files, including the frame rate and data rate, and check whether the media files have any dropped frames.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bret WilliamsRe: How to verify video files?
by on Aug 10, 2012 at 3:57:33 am

Looks like the long frames command will mark "long frames." Has that always been there? When FCP drops a frame, it generally repeats the frame before it to keep the length of the video correct, and to keep the video in sync with the audio. So if you highlight clips in the browser, and choose mark long frames, then it should put markers on the clip marking the long frames (dropped frames) within the clip.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Doug LyonsRe: How to verify video files?
by on Aug 10, 2012 at 4:50:58 am

Wow, a blast from the past. I haven't used that function since the Eisenhower administration! Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, all of the clips have at least one or two dropped frames but several are riddled. Now I need to redigitize and figure out why.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 10, 2012 at 5:21:34 am

I always wondered what LONG FRAMES were. I consider myself a big FCP expert, and I don't even know what those are. Nor have I used the ANALYZE command.

Glad we have this community...

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jon ChappellRe: How to verify video files?
by on Aug 10, 2012 at 6:17:45 am

Video Check in Pro Media Tools does this too.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metdata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]