Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Changing light through windows pane in a shot

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Carl EmertonChanging light through windows pane in a shot
by on Aug 9, 2012 at 8:53:03 am

Help!!! I have captured some good images but want to change windows to dark as in night from daylight showing details. When I apply colour correction I get a bit of noise elsewhere in the shot too. I just want to make rectangles dark as ..please help

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Carl EmertonRe: Changing light through windows pane in a shot
by on Aug 9, 2012 at 9:39:09 am

PS I am using fcp x

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: Changing light through windows pane in a shot
by on Aug 9, 2012 at 5:45:08 pm

#1...the FCP-X help forum is here:

http://forums.creativecow.net/fcpxtechnique

This is the FCP 7 and down forum.

#2...You can't. Not without some pretty serious VFX work. Changing lighting from what you shot isn't a simple color correction. Daylight coming in from the window will not only be in the square of the window pane, but all over the edges of the window, and if it is bright, those edges will show over-exposure...you can tell that it is a window frame in daylight. Even if you shot out that window at night, and then layered the video to have the night view on that window pane, because of the daylight streaming in hitting the window frame and everything else, it won't be convincing.

I mean, Digital Domain and ILM might be able to do something, but with serious work, and with additional footage to help sell it. Best to re-shoot.

This is something that you need to notice in the shoot, and take care of at that time. Not everything can be "fixed in post." If it needs to be night, you need to cover the windows with either very dark filters (TV shows and films use these to enable proper exposure outside when shooting inside), shoot at night...or cover the windows completely with blankets or something to block out the light.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 9, 2012 at 8:12:43 pm

Thx Shane , I was afraid of that. Il have to work around it .

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 5, 2013 at 9:01:54 am

Shane, I appreciate your help from a while ago. My little project is actually developing well. My problem was that I shot a scene in a pub with a hill behind with vegetation that didnt represent the geopgraphical region the pub was supposed to be in. Luckily the vegetation is green and it acts a proxy green screen. If I use my keyer in fcpx i can replace the "inaccurate background " with a still shot to give a totally different impression. Problem solved :) until..... when using the ken burns effect to zoom into the primary scene (inside pub) the background doesnt change in proportion so it appears as if the outside gets bigger and and bigger or smaller depending on the direction of the zoom. Is there a way I can tie the two so that the proportions remain constant? Mate, I know you are probably busy but any bit helps, Thanks Carl.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: Changing light through windows pane in a shot
by on May 7, 2013 at 5:01:13 pm

That will require tracking. Something you need to do outside of FCP...like in Motion or After Effects. But I'm not the one to explain how to do that. I'm an editor, not a motion graphics person. But it is something that I need to learn apparently.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 21, 2013 at 6:14:57 am

Shane, I really appreciate your input. I learn quickly just not enough hours in the day. Many thanks. Carl.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]