Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Mountain Lion & FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Chris PaulMountain Lion & FCP7
by on Jul 25, 2012 at 4:57:47 pm

Just upgraded my test machine to Mountain Lion. Final Cut 7 now crashes on startup. More details later. For now, I would not update the OS if you are still using Final Cut 7.

Chris Paul
POV

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Adam Dorsey1Re: Mountain Lion & FCP7
by on Jul 25, 2012 at 5:46:58 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'm in the middle of a project, I'm tempted to get Mountain Lion for the new hotness of it, but definitely don't want my FCP7 to stop working.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Dave LaRondeRe: Mountain Lion & FCP7
by on Jul 25, 2012 at 6:12:24 pm

It appears the common wisdom still applies: do a clean install.

Here's a cautionary tale from about a year ago when Lion was new:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1149398#1149509

In this thread, the conversation between Jerry Hoffman and David Roth Weiss is particularly instructive.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Mark SuszkoRe: Mountain Lion & FCP7
by on Jul 25, 2012 at 7:26:13 pm

Dave, are you saying that you know for a a fact FCP 7 still works under Mountain lion, if you do a clean install first? Or did I misread your statement?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: Mountain Lion & FCP7
by on Jul 25, 2012 at 7:43:34 pm

I haven't heard if FCP 7's bulletproof on Mountain Lion yet.

FCP 7 works as well as can be expected on Lion, which came out after FCS3.

But to give yourself the best chance at FCP 7 success on Mountain Lion, the first reports indicate you DON'T simply do an OS upgrade: you do a clean install, or you take your chances.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lance MoodyRe: Mountain Lion & FCP7
by on Jul 25, 2012 at 8:32:47 pm

It's working fine on my system. I loaded a project, checked that external monitoring was working (Black Magic has new drivers) and exported a file. All works as expected.

There were reports from long time Mountain Lion beta users of no issues with FCP.

--Lance

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Christopher McDonellRe: Mountain Lion & FCP7
by on Jul 25, 2012 at 11:46:03 pm

I'll be watching this thread. I assume if version 7 works on ML, same goes for 6. I've been cutting with 6.0.6 on Lion without any problems.

Chris

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris PaulRe: Mountain Lion & FCP7
by on Jul 26, 2012 at 12:01:09 am

I have narrowed the issue down to fxplug plugins. Am checking them one at a time It is either Boris Continuum complete or Sapphire Edge. FCP 7 does boot in 10.8 when I have removed these fxplug plugins.

Chris Paul
POV

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Reilly BakerRe: Mountain Lion & FCP7
by on Jul 26, 2012 at 1:22:46 am

I had the same issue with Boris Continuum complete plugin forcing FCP 7 to quit while booting. I removed the plug-in and its boots fine and everything else runs fine to far. Hoping there is an update soon because its a great plugin!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Reilly BakerRe: Mountain Lion & FCP7
by on Jul 26, 2012 at 1:23:22 am

I had the same issue with Boris Continuum complete plug-in forcing FCP 7 to quit while booting. I removed the plug-in and its boots fine and everything else runs fine to far. Hoping there is an update soon because its a great plug-in!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve MullinsRe: Mountain Lion & FCP7
by on Sep 26, 2013 at 11:15:00 am

I too have crashes with FX Factory plugin - have updated to the latest ML version - seems 'broken sprocket' effect causes big issues with rendering - even some pixels in the finished render (if it doesnt crash that is).

Solution - avoid certain plugins - I'm going to do a clean install of FCS3 - probably remove FCX too.

Annoying as SL was fine - but FX Factory has got new effects with the lates ML version...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jake JonesRe: Mountain Lion & FCP7
by on Jul 26, 2012 at 11:18:13 pm

Final Cut pro version 6 seems to be working fine on Mountain Lion. Thank goodness. I was pretty scared.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Jul 27, 2012 at 4:05:31 pm

[Jake Jones] "Final Cut pro version 6 seems to be working fine on Mountain Lion. Thank goodness. I was pretty scared.
"

Thanks Jake. I love it!

Now is everyone here actually doing a 'clean' install and is it really necessary? What's the method? This --> ?

1. Use Digital Rebellion FCS Remover
2. Upgrade Lion to ML
3. Perform clean install of FCP via discs, update all software

???

Chris

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Post removed.

Ryan WhitingRe: Mountain Lion & FCP7
by on Oct 8, 2012 at 6:55:50 pm

I just got off the phone with Apple Tech Support who told me FCP 6.0.6 is NOT compatible with ML (10.8.2) - (I have tried installing and it won't open for me).

How did you get this to work???

Appreciate your input

Ryan W.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 9, 2012 at 6:08:16 am

Ryan, you probably need Rosetta. I found it online somewhere. Find it, download it, and you should be good to go.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ryan WhitingRe: Mountain Lion & FCP7
by on Oct 9, 2012 at 7:52:06 pm

Thanks Chris ~

Any idea where i can find it???

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Cris CazorRe: Mountain Lion & FCP7
by on Sep 17, 2012 at 1:29:40 am

Hi Dave and everyone else,

Havent heard from anybody discussing about a brand new Macbook pro with ML and installing FCP7.
So would the newest MBP with ML run clean and fast Final 7.
Havent bought the machine yet, my old MBP 2008 just died (logic board), so i was thinking about doing a huge upgrade and before spending a few bucks on that toy, wanted to know about suggestions or experiences with a good, new and clean computer.

Thanks for all your posts.

Cris Cazor
cfssb.org
Santa Barbara, CA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Dean NealRe: Mountain Lion & FCP7
by on Jul 26, 2012 at 4:06:18 am

I am toying with testing this update.

What I need to know is has anyone tested the VO tool in FCP 7 with Mountain Lion?

Also, I wonder what impact the new OSX Integrated Messenging app has with FCP 7's iChat Theater function?

Dean Neal...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jesse CoaneRe: Mountain Lion & FCP7
by on Jul 26, 2012 at 3:25:03 pm

Pleasantly surprised that the FCP7's VO tool worked in Mountain Lion. In Lion it would always crash the app. Haven't tried iChat theater with Mountain Lion yet, but the beta of Messages (iMessage) on Lion did break iChat theater for me.

Director / Editor
http://www.jessecoane.com
@jessecoane

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris PaulRe: Mountain Lion & FCP7
by on Jul 26, 2012 at 4:28:55 pm

Finally nailed down the problem to having outdated Boris Continuum Complete plugins. I updated them and now FCP7 boots. My final advice is to not upgrade to Mountain Lion in mid-project. If you are not going to do a clean install, make sure you have a backup so you can restore to a working system. I love to try the latest stuff so I have a boot drive dedicated to that so I do not risk my working system.

Chris Paul
POV

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jesse CoaneRe: Mountain Lion & FCP7
by on Jul 26, 2012 at 7:29:36 pm

Just tested iChat theater in mountain lion and it also works (didn't with Messages beta).

Director / Editor
http://www.jessecoane.com
@jessecoane

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lance MoodyRe: Mountain Lion & FCP7
by on Jul 27, 2012 at 1:07:28 am

Do you mind stating your procedure for getting iChat theater to work? I couldn't get it to work at all.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Simon KnightRe: Mountain Lion & FCP7
by on Aug 15, 2012 at 8:33:15 pm

Hi everyone,
Just thought i'd give you my experiences from today regarding FCP7 and ML.

I am running a late 2007 iMac on Snow Leopard. This is my edit machine with FCP703 on it.
Late last year (2011) i splashed out on a MacBook Air. It had Lion on it and I thought it would be my way of testing and running either FCPX or Adobe PP.
After backing away quickly from iMovie Pro (sorry) I resigned myself to getting to grips with Premier Pro. Its been fun but i haven't really been as productive and find when I need a quick and easy edit I run back to the good old FCP7. I also have to capture my Sony Z5 stuff to the iMac anyway...

Last week I upgraded to Mountain Lion... ok, I was bored..!

So today I thought I'd give it a go and loaded up FCP7. And then Motion. And then Color.
All worked exceptionally smoothly. Then I got the App Centre telling me there were Pro App updates available. So I gingerly downloaded it all. And got a smoothly running FCP7.0.3.

Oh what the hell... Go on then... Magic Bullet suite.... All running. All stable. All very quick with the SSD drive. In fact the only slow part of the process is the external 1TB drive as a scratch disk. Perhaps an SSD is called for to finish it off.

Ok so as a workstation its not brilliant on a 11.3" screen. But for continuing an edit on the road and now with the ability to capture through the Thunderbolt-FW800 cable Apple has released, it is working really well.

So thats a native Lion machine, upgraded to Mountain Lion and THEN FCP7 loaded... No crashes yet!

Good luck out there... seems its a very quirky OS, indeed..!

MediaHound Films
http://www.mediahoundfilms.co.uk
07775 233 730

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Mathew MilaniRe: Mountain Lion & FCP7
by on Nov 27, 2012 at 6:19:12 pm

Hi there,

I just did a clean install about a month ago for all my editing apps having moved to mountain lion,

For FCP7 You must do a clean install (with Apple Discs) or it will not work. I tried DMGs wont work...

FCP7 seems to be working fine it does have a few issues but that would due to 3rd party plugins as far as crashes are concerned. I even was surprised to see a pro app update from 2010 appear in my app store!

I would recommend trashing thumbnails every other day or if you get a crash.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bruce TokarsRe: Mountain Lion & FCP7
by on Mar 12, 2013 at 11:11:35 am

I recently installed FCP6 on my new MacBook Pro using Rosetta and to my surprise and delight it installed and works! Then came the downside.

Something in the install has broken every app that I use to download streaming video. Jakstra, iShowUHD, and others I have tried all try and load but end up crashing.

I have not seen any reports of this problem and am stumped as to what could have caused it and how to fix it. I assume that I could uninstall FCP6 and all of the full suite's parts but that might not fix it. Has anyone here had this issue? Yes, I know that Apple says the Mt Lion won't let you run FCP 6 or 7 but clearly many of us have found that is not the case

This is a rather strange issue and may related to QuickTime. I've also been getting an error occasionally from Safari that the QuickTime Internet Plug-in is missing. But I can't find anything about that issue either except that others have seen the same message,

Any thoughts on any of this is appreciated.

Thanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Post removed.

Mathilde NègreRe: Mountain Lion & FCP7
by on Apr 26, 2013 at 1:15:10 pm

Hi !
I have another problem, maybe you ll know what I could do.
I updated my system to Mountain Lion 3 days ago, I worked since 3 days on Finalcut 7.3 and everything was ok, I created new projects, opened old one, everything just worked fine.
2 hours ago I tried to open a project and FCP7.3 just crashed before opening it. Now it seems to be impossible to open FCP, I desinstalled and reinstalled FCP, but it's still the same, and I can't understand what happened.
Please help me if you know something about my problem !
Thank you

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John CraddockRe: Mountain Lion & FCP7
by on Aug 9, 2013 at 1:40:22 pm

We have had a similar experience with ML and FCP7. We upgraded about a month ago to 10.8, everything was working smoothly, then unexpectedly, Final Cut would halt on startup. It would get to the point where it was profiling for RT, then simply disappear. There is nothing in the crash logs, it just disappears on startup. We tried using some cleanup utilities to remove all of the Apple ProApps from the system and reinstalling FCP7, and the same thing happened. Then a clean install of 10.8 and a clean install of FCP7; same problem. Today we're retrograding the workstation back to 10.7 and plan to keep it there until the end of time, or at least until our editorial staff is up to speed on Smoke. We're not the only people on the interwebs who are having this problem.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill LatkaRe: Mountain Lion & FCP7
by on Oct 1, 2013 at 3:57:24 am

Part of the problem you're experiencing could be (according to the "helpful" folks at Apple tech support) the recent firmware updates that have come with ML. The firmware updates could be working some kind of voodoo with FCP 7.0.3. Their suggestion to me was to attempt to install FCP on a Lion partition, but since they don't support downgrading, I'd be on my own with that.

--
Bill Latka
Rivet Entertainment
Building awareness.
Building change.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy