Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Camera Audio Drops Out After Compression...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Erick PuentesCamera Audio Drops Out After Compression...
by on Jul 19, 2012 at 4:08:26 pm

I'm having an issue with audio after transcoding with Compressor. I'm currently using Final Cut Pro 7 and Compressor 3. I'm creating very simple product demonstration videos.

I'm shooting the videos with a Canon Vixia HF S200 and an external Lavalier Mic plugged into the camera. I take the video shot and "log and transfer" into FCP7. Once the video is imported I edit everything down and just add the intro & outro. The intro and outro use the same music which is a ".aiff" file. When finished I adjust all the levels, then play everything back. Within FCP7 it plays back beautifully.

My next step is "sent to" Compressor. Since I am posting this to YouTube, I just use the YouTube preset and call it a day. Once it's finished, I play it on my computer and it plays just fine.

The issue comes when I upload to "YouTube" and people try to play the video on an iPhone or iPad. The intro & outro ".aiff" music plays fine but when the actually camera audio kicks in, it completely drops off and you barely hear it and it's all distorted. This same issue does happen on some window PCs but that is hit or miss.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there specific procedure for making the video play smoothly on everything? I am at a TOTAL loss! Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

~Erick

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael GissingRe: Camera Audio Drops Out After Compression...
by on Jul 20, 2012 at 12:24:03 am

It sounds like the camera sound is on two channels but out of phase. In FCP pan the audio to centre and see if it happens in FCP. If so, ditch one channel.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Erick PuentesRe: Camera Audio Drops Out After Compression...
by on Jul 20, 2012 at 3:49:28 pm

How do you solve this issue? Being out of phase?

These are my settings. Keep in mind the "Canon" clips original audio was 16 bit Integer but I brought it into Soundtrack Pro and when finished it became 32 Bit Floating. I don't think this has any bearing giving that it happens even when I didn't edit the original audio.

SETTINGS:
http://i46.tinypic.com/162681h.jpg

So I ended up exporting the project out of FCP7 first using the setting in the link provided. Then I brought that file into compressor and compressed it for YouTube. After uploading to YouTube, I played it on my iPhone 4, and the sound is great , IF I have the headphones plugged in, but when I try to listen to it via the speakers, it drops out and the sound is garbled. So frustrating.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael GissingRe: Camera Audio Drops Out After Compression...
by on Jul 20, 2012 at 11:33:00 pm

Signal phase is adjustable in Sound Track Pro. One channel of the camera audio is clearly out of phase, so either chnage the phase on one channel or delete one channel and just use the other as the source audio must be mono. All this suggests you have a fault in your cables and one channel feed is phase swapped.

Your final output should be 24 or 16 bit, not 32 bit as FCP doesn't like bit rates other than 16 or 24 bit - but that isn't the problem here. In STP pan the camera audio to centre and see if it cancels and behaves the same as you are hearing. With headphones you hear the stereo signal. When played on a speaker it is mixing to mono and the out of phase on one channel is causing the cancellation.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 23, 2012 at 5:38:01 pm

So I unlinked the camera video/audio, then unlinked "stereo pair". Went into each track and panned one to the left and the other to right. Exported and I'm still getting the same audio problem.

I then tried deleting one of the the and going into the remaining track and adjusting the panning but no matter what side I panned to, there was no change. I only heard it from one side. Is there something else you think I should try? Do I really need to bring this audio track into Soundtrack Pro?

I'm not sure if it helps but here is a link of screen shots of my project. Might give you some insight that I'm missing.

dl.dropbox.com/u/5658633/FCP_project%20screenshots.pdf

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph WoodsRe: Camera Audio Drops Out After Compression...
by on Sep 15, 2012 at 5:55:02 pm

Hi Eric,

I saw your question on the forum,I have the same issue. I have attempted several things as well to resolve the issue. How did you resolve the issue?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 16, 2012 at 1:12:52 am

Hey Joseph...

Sorry to hear you're dealing with the same issue I did. I finally figured it out and it was a simple enough fix.

The first thing I did was go up to my "sequence settings" under Sequence menu. Then in the "audio outputs" tab make sure that your downmix is set to "0" and groupings is set to "stereo". In my case and most likely your case, the grouping is set to "dual mono". This was the main issue.

After I made that change, I went to my clip audio in the sequence and deleted one of the "stereo" tracks and made sure the remaining tracks was panned to "0". You might have to bump up the gain/volume on that single track BUT now you shouldn't have an issue with audio.

Let me know if that works out for you!

Regards,
~Erick

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph WoodsRe: Camera Audio Drops Out After Compression...
by on Sep 16, 2012 at 5:28:28 pm

Erick,

Hey Thanks! That did the trick, problem solved. I spent some time trying to figure it out, then I stumbled upon your post. These forums are an excellent source for information and problem solving.

Thanks Again

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 16, 2012 at 6:17:24 pm

Awesome! I'm so glad that it helped.

These and other forums are a great resource. I'm constantly learning new things and I'm grateful for the people who can share what they know.

Feel free to reach out anytime.

~Erick

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]