Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Client Wants to Preview Footage on DVD before editing begins. What's the best way to do that?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Luis GuerreroClient Wants to Preview Footage on DVD before editing begins. What's the best way to do that?
by on Jul 5, 2012 at 3:37:08 pm

The client would like to review footage on a DVD before the editing process begins.
I have about 5 hours of HDv footage shot on a Sony Z7u in progressive mode. I have considered purchasing a JVC DVD Recorder (SR-HD1250US Blu-ray Disc & HDD Recorder)but that means spending a $1000. What is the best way to deliver unedited footage for review?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

eric pautschRe: Client Wants to Preview Footage on DVD before editing begins. What's the best way to do that?
by on Jul 5, 2012 at 4:04:06 pm

Just cut your footage into 2 hr increments and use DVDSP to author 3 discs.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Luis GuerreroRe: Client Wants to Preview Footage on DVD before editing begins. What's the best way to do that?
by on Jul 5, 2012 at 4:13:05 pm

Is there a way to record to dvd directly from the hard drive without having to process the video using compressor to format it it dvd?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

eric pautschRe: Client Wants to Preview Footage on DVD before editing begins. What's the best way to do that?
by on Jul 5, 2012 at 6:33:48 pm

Why? You have all the tools you need to make a DVD.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ryan HolmesRe: Client Wants to Preview Footage on DVD before editing begins. What's the best way to do that?
by on Jul 5, 2012 at 8:30:23 pm

You can buy a DVD burner with HDD from MarkerTek or B&H:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/659769-REG/Panasonic_DMR_EH59GA_K_DMR...

But then you'll need a way to play it out of your Mac into the DVD player (AJA or BlackMagic card). And that will be at realtime. So 2 hours of footage will burn onto the disc in 2 hours.

Instead of spending money, just leave the sequences encoding tonight when you leave work. Tomorrow morning, build a couple of DVD's, burn and ship. Cost $0 (not counting shipping! ;-)

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Everett BowesRe: Client Wants to Preview Footage on DVD before editing begins. What's the best way to do that?
by on Jul 5, 2012 at 8:44:20 pm

is there a chance you can actually provide a Data DVD, instead? maybe you compress all of the clips and put it on a DVD that they can review on their computer, instead of "authoring" a DVD?

if they say "yes" to that, then maybe you can talk them into just buying a hard drive and transferring everything to the hard drive..... it's a shot in the dark, but the time-savings would make it worth asking about.

everett bowes

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David EaksRe: Client Wants to Preview Footage on DVD before editing begins. What's the best way to do that?
by on Jul 5, 2012 at 9:12:17 pm

Post the video to YouTube, make it "unlisted" so it's only visible to people whom you share the link to the video with. For me, this works really well. Once the video is posted I'll call the client and say "are you by a computer?" they always love how quick and easy it is to see the raw video or requested changes.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Phillip ToddRe: Client Wants to Preview Footage on DVD before editing begins. What's the best way to do that?
by on Jul 7, 2012 at 2:15:26 am

I did what David Eaks suggests for a client. I had 2 hours of 1080P footage. I added timecode since they would select the sound bites out of long speeches that they wanted. Generating the TC overlay using my 2009 17" MBP (at the time my only editing platform) took a lot of render time, fans on full blast, then the compression for the web using QT7 (I was still using 10.5), a lot more time, fans on full blast.

Long story: I now have a MacPro as an edit platform and am wondering how well this will go if I have to do it again. The client liked the convenience of it, so chances are I'll have to do it again.
I posted it on Vimeo and password protected it, lots of upload time, etc.

I did learn that QTX was a lot faster than QT 7 to do the compression, and later that compressor would have been even better. I am currently on 10.6 and QT 7.

Phillip

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David EaksRe: Client Wants to Preview Footage on DVD before editing begins. What's the best way to do that?
by on Jul 7, 2012 at 4:34:47 am

Hi Phillip,

I should mention that I use Matrox MAX compressor presets for Youtube for just faster than real time encoding (2 hour video takes something like 1 hour 56 min to encode... Not exactly sure, i just set a timer and come back later, If only Siri had a function like growl to notify when a process completes...). Along with the Job Action function in Compressor to upload the resulting file to YouTube automatically. If you upload as public (uncheck private in Job Action pane) and subscribe to your own YouTube Channel, then once the upload is complete and YouTube has processed it, you will get an email with a link ready to copy/paste to the client. Becomes a very simple and quick workflow, video available the next morning with minimal effort.

1) export video from FCP (I regularly use reference movies)
2) submit compressor with job action
3) wait for email which has a link (then make video private if necessary)

I only encoded one 2 hour video to H.264 (for Blu-ray) before buying Matrox MXO2 LE MAX... and was able to do one more before it arrived lol.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Phillip ToddRe: Client Wants to Preview Footage on DVD before editing begins. What's the best way to do that?
by on Jul 7, 2012 at 9:18:56 pm

Thank you for the tips David!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Darryl YeeRe: Client Wants to Preview Footage on DVD before editing begins. What's the best way to do that?
by on Sep 3, 2012 at 9:40:00 pm

A couple months late, but hopefully this helps someone later down the road. I have a Mac and shoot with the Z7U, and the easiest method for me is to rewrap and import all the footage with Clip Wrap, and then drag the Quicktime MOVs into Toast. Toast will encode (automatically adjusting the bitrate) everything to fit a DVD or DVD-DL depending on how many clips you put in there. Maybe split 5 hours of footage into 3 groups. Takes a few hours but it's all automated.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]