Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Quicktime References causing Compressor to crash black video only in Quicktime 10 but not 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Robert YatesQuicktime References causing Compressor to crash black video only in Quicktime 10 but not 7
by on Jun 17, 2012 at 2:15:59 pm

Yesterday I exported a Quicktime reference of my timeline to compress in Compressor (Qucktime export movie is NOT self-contained). Something I've done many times, no problem.

I left it compressing and when I came back saw that Compressor had failed with an error, Quicktime error-36 and everything started freezing up, first Compressor, then Final Cut and even Finder when I tried to delete the corrupt file.

After several tests I realized that the Quicktime Reference was only playing audio (with black for video) in Quicktime. In Compressor, the video was visible but would never compress. I let it run again, after exporting the timeline again, for several hours and realized it was not advancing just adding more and more time to its estimate of time remaining.

Sometimes it would crash everything again if I tried to cancel the job.

I thought it might be the project, timeline, media specifically so I tried a different project with different media and got the same issues. But if I open the same Quicktime references in Quicktime 7, the video and audio are visible.

I thought it might have something to do with the Avid codecs since the project that started giving me problems has DNx quick times. But unless it has somehow started to give me issues with Quicktime generally, the other projects I tested with do not use this codec.

I was under a deadline to get an H264 copy out to a client so eventually I found a work around that worked, exporting a "self-contained" Quicktime from Final Cut seems to work fine. It is visible in Quicktime 10 and in Compressor and exports without crashing in the usual amount of time (obviously just longer to export the Quicktime from FCP).

Has anyone had similar problems or any thoughts on where I should start troubleshooting? Not sure if using Time Machine would help in this case, go back a few days and see if the problem persists. Trying to uninstall and reinstall the Avid codecs? Is there a way to reinstall Quicktime only and if so what would be the best way to do so? At this point I'm hoping to avoid a complete reinstall and I am crossing my fingers this isn't a drive issue (I heard the original error of -36 could be a bad sector issue on a disk). But I used disk utility and it told me both my Mac HD drive and my 4TB G-Raid appear to be OK. Also, not sure why the error of seeing only black video would persist with a different project if it was a bad sector.

Project specs:

1080pfs24

and also

1080p23.98

System specs:

iMac Mid 2011
Processor 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)

4TB G-RAID connected via Firewire 800

Thanks for any help that can be given!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jerry HofmannRe: Quicktime References causing Compressor to crash black video only in Quicktime 10 but not 7
by on Jun 17, 2012 at 3:13:19 pm

Post all of the sequence settings, and post thsource video formats.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Robert YatesRe: Quicktime References causing Compressor to crash black video only in Quicktime 10 but not 7
by on Jun 17, 2012 at 5:43:29 pm

I have listed the information below. But just to note I have been using both of these projects for quite a while now, the first for over a year (on an animated feature) without this problem ever occurring and I did not change any settings recently. My suspicions lean towards it being related to Quicktime 10 and that whatever it is affects Compressor's ability to deal with it?

Project 1:

Framesize 960x540 custom 16:9
Pixel Aspect square
Editing timebase 24
Compressor: Photo JPEG
Quality 100%
Audio 48KHz 24 bit
Media: 960x540 24 fps photo jpeg and 1920x1080 24 fps Avid DNxHD codec (scaled 50 %)

but I had the same problem with a sequence set to

Project 2:

1920x1080 HDTV 1080i (16:9)
Square
Compressor Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)
same audio settings
media - 1920x1080 23.98fps Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)

Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: Quicktime References causing Compressor to crash black video only in Quicktime 10 but not 7
by on Jun 18, 2012 at 4:42:50 pm

[Robert Yates] "My suspicions lean towards it being related to Quicktime 10 and that whatever it is affects Compressor's ability to deal with it?"

I would concur: QTX is a train wreck compated to QT 7. As a test, you could remove the QTX application file from your machine and see what happens.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]