Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Fog effect behind objects!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Elliot BeachFog effect behind objects!
by on May 31, 2012 at 9:42:39 am

Hi there,

I am very new to Motion and have not really used it at all, only doing a small amount of stabilization and that's it. FCP and color I am more advanced if that helps. I am trying to create a fog effect in one of my shots and need it to appear behind some objects in the foreground [See images bellow].

So I want the fog to be just above the water covering out the buildings and behind the trumpeter, pier and lamppost. One image in the original and the other is just a fog clip pulled over to give a rough idea for you.

I'm sure its possible to do so can anyone give me a rough idea, name or tutorial that could help me with this. Thanks

(I am posting this in Motion/AE forums as well to see which program would work the best)

- Original

- Fog screen pulled over

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark SuszkoRe: Fog effect behind objects!
by on May 31, 2012 at 1:56:23 pm

You will need to make a mask around the dock and trumpeter. Then you put the fog in a midle layer of a3-layer "sandwich" of foreground, middle, and background. This can be done in FCP's timeline, or using photoshop. There isn't, AFAIK, a vector masking tool in Motion yet.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael GissingRe: Fog effect behind objects!
by on Jun 1, 2012 at 3:04:14 am

Hopefully the shot is static. AE is probably better at making and accurate mask around the foreground features.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Elliot BeachRe: Fog effect behind objects!
by on Jun 1, 2012 at 1:06:27 pm

I ended up using AE and it has worked quite nicely with the help of some members here. Thanks guys

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]