Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

"Compressor" custom preset of ProRes 422 (HQ) is yielding wrong aspect ratio?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
john whiteway"Compressor" custom preset of ProRes 422 (HQ) is yielding wrong aspect ratio?
by on May 19, 2012 at 11:41:12 pm

Hello,

I'm afraid I'm back. For the past several days people on this page have helped me solve the audio problem associated with using Compressor to convert MP4 files from a Blackberry Playbook to QuickTime files editable in Final Cut. The problem had been that the ProRes 422 (HQ) setting that comes with Compressor had been creating files that forced me to render all audio once working in Final Cut.

With help from many of you here I figured out why this was happening and how to create a custom preset to solve the audio problem. But as I'm seeing today the solution to the audio problem has produced a video one.

Though I can now produce audio that does not need to be rendered my 16:9 footage is appearing as squished "4:3" after going through Compressor and when I import it into Final Cut.

The problem seems to lie in the custom preset I created. Whereas the ProRes 422 (HQ) setting that comes with Compressor (and gives me audio I have to render) lists in it's summary "Width (100% of source), Height (100% of source), my custom "ProRes 422 (HQ)" lists "Width 320, Height 240".

Is there some way to correct this?

In building my custom preset I had few choices. After selecting "QuickTime Movie" I had both video and audio options to select. For video settings I chose "ProRes 422 (HQ). For audio settings I chose "Linear PCM 48kHz". Once these settings are made, in the summary of this custom codex I see "Width 320, Height 240".

Can anyone suggest what I can do to create a custom codex that both solves the audio problem and gives me my picture in the right aspect ratio?

Should I be working with something other than ProRes perhaps?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rafael AmadorRe: "Compressor" custom preset of ProRes 422 (HQ) is yielding wrong aspect ratio?
by on May 20, 2012 at 10:44:00 am

Movies to be played in computers and similar must be built with Squared pixels.
A 320 x 240 SQ pixels movie has not 16x9 aspect. Not even 4/3.

[john whiteway] "Once these settings are made, in the summary of this custom codex I see "Width 320, Height 240"
Forget about the summary.
Set 100% of the source.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

john whitewayRe: "Compressor" custom preset of ProRes 422 (HQ) is yielding wrong aspect ratio?
by on May 20, 2012 at 1:52:35 pm

Wish it was possible to do what you suggest Rafael.

As I say, the incorrect width and height (for my purposes) are listed in the summary pane, and one has no option to change what's there. Select "ProRes 422 (HQ)" from the options offered in "Video/Settings" and these settings are set and remain unchangeable. No option exists to change to "100% of source".

Since writing my last note I've found that if I select "Apple Intermediate Codec" or "HDV 720p 30fps" rather than "ProRes 422 (HQ)" I DO get a custom setting that has Width/Height of 1080 X 720.

End result: a custom setting that produces picture and audio that are correct in Final Cut.

John

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rafael AmadorRe: "Compressor" custom preset of ProRes 422 (HQ) is yielding wrong aspect ratio?
by on May 21, 2012 at 2:27:25 am

John,
Presets can't be modified.
Are you duplicating the presets in order of being able to modify them?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

john whitewayRe: "Compressor" custom preset of ProRes 422 (HQ) is yielding wrong aspect ratio?
by on May 21, 2012 at 3:52:32 pm

I've been able to solve the problem since I last wrote.

In summary the problem I was facing was that though I could create a custom ProRes 422 (HQ) preset that solved the audio problem I was facing when I used the ProRes preset version that came in the Compressor Settings list, the preset I created seemed to produce an unchangeable and incorrect aspect ratio for the video. Finally one kind soul on another chat page not only walked me through the entire process but also gave me accompanying screen shots illustrating each stage.

What I didn't know and hadn't done was click on the "Geometry" button in "Inspector". Once I did that I was able to establish my ProRes Custom preset at the proper 1280 X 720.

(Interestingly, though the creation of a custom preset can be initiated by clicking on the add "+" button in Settings – which I did - my correspondent sowed me it can also be done by first dragging one of the Compressor presets from the Settings list to the Batch window. Once done it turns out you can go to the Inspector window and make all the appropriate alteration to come up with a custom preset. In short, for all that the manual says about the presets that come with Compressor not being modifiable it seems, by this method they, in fact, are.)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]