Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

FCP to DVD - Different Formats

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Elliot BeachFCP to DVD - Different Formats
by on May 7, 2012 at 9:33:42 am

I need to burn a DVD to be played in a normal DVD player.

I will be putting two separate short films onto the DVD one was filmed in Mini-DV and the other on a Canon 550D.

For the Mini-DV footage I used MPEG stream clip and transcoded that to apple pro res 422 25fps. Ratio was unscaled at 720X540, 5 minutes.

For the 550D footage I also transcoded that also to Apple pro res 422 and unscaled at the Ratio is 1920x1080, 25Fps, 7 minutes.

They have both been edited in separated projects so far but now I need to get them onto one DVD keeping the best quality possible. I have DVD studio so what would be the best way to do this?

I really need this done asap so any reply’s will be very helpful!

Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jerry HofmannRe: FCP to DVD - Different Formats
by on May 7, 2012 at 12:59:06 pm

Set the compression for each of the shorts to be the same, then after you've compressed them both to MPEG-2, create a menu in DVD SP, attach each to their buttons on that menu, and burn...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Elliot BeachRe: FCP to DVD - Different Formats
by on May 7, 2012 at 1:54:38 pm

Great thanks for reply.

So just to clarify.

Export them from FCP to MPEG-2 separately (Will that give me the best quality possible for each? The 550D HD footage is more important)

Open DVD Studio and import setting them on different tracks.

Now when it comes to the DVDS settings whats will be the best to use?

Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rafael AmadorRe: FCP to DVD - Different Formats
by on May 7, 2012 at 2:59:18 pm

[Elliot Beach] "For the Mini-DV footage I used MPEG stream clip and transcoded that to apple pro res 422 25fps."
The Canon stuff must be converted because that footage is not supported native in FC, but no sense to convert the MiniDV footage.

[Elliot Beach] "For the Mini-DV footage I used MPEG stream clip and transcoded that to apple pro res 422 25fps. Ratio was unscaled at 720X540,"Don't downscale the DV stuff.
Pal DVDs are 720x576.
720x540 is the displayed picture.
Stick to the standard.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 7, 2012 at 3:39:14 pm

I have done a test using compressor to export to MPEG-2.

I then mount on DVD studio and burn with the general settings to a Verbatim DVD-R. It completed saying successful however when i try to play back on my 2011 macbook pro and normal DVD player its says the disc is not supported.

I tried burning the image to the same brand DVD using disk utility and it works but comes as a data dvd not a normal push in and play one.

What could be the problem? Should i go get some DVD+R instead?!

Please help

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John PaleRe: FCP to DVD - Different Formats
by on May 7, 2012 at 3:51:16 pm

Make sure you didnt make an HDDVD by mistake.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 7, 2012 at 4:27:22 pm

Nope its SD.

I tried playing it on a friend laptop which is still snow leopard and it seems to play. Would this mean it is a lion issue? Why wouldn't it play on the DVD player?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 7, 2012 at 4:39:47 pm

My mistake i did have it set to HD. Had to go preferences to change that didnt realize. should be all ok for now.

Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 7, 2012 at 10:56:55 pm

One other issue i have now is that when the DVD is burnt the edges of on the canon 1080 footage are jagged and blockly. Anyway to fix this?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]