Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

APOCALYPSE NOW: Converting .mov into FCP files.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Jamie JohnsonAPOCALYPSE NOW: Converting .mov into FCP files.
by on May 6, 2012 at 12:01:39 am

I'm in a pinch and on a short deadline - doing a volunteer project to help out a friend, and the video is critical to him.

I have an older version of Final Cut - Final Cut Studio Pro 5.1.4

I generally log and capture footage (ctrl F8) from miniDV. I don't have the newer version of FCP, which I have heard can convert files as they are imported. I have to log and capture.

A cameraman has given me 3 hours of footage in .mov (he also has the footage in .mts) but he gave me the .mov files as he thought I might be able to use them more easily. I can import the .mov into my version of FCP, but without the log and capture step - they are unrendered -- and you can imagine trying to render 3 hours of footage only to have it unrender ever time I edit it and move my b-roll around.

I'm hoping someone here has dealt with this issue before - albeit probably a long time ago. I'd appreciate any advice you might provide.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bruce TokarsRe: APOCALYPSE NOW: Converting .mov into FCP files.
by on May 6, 2012 at 10:07:45 am

Not sure this will do the trick but it might. Batch import the files into MPEG Streamclip and export them as the appropriate .mov files for your version of FCP. Then, when you start working with them in FCP they will already be rendered properly and editing won't cause them to need to be re-rendered. I thin.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tony BrittanRe: APOCALYPSE NOW: Converting .mov into FCP files.
by on May 6, 2012 at 10:52:30 am

I know that in FCP 6, when you drop a clip into a new sequence, it will ask you if you want to match the timelines settings with the clip when it's the first one dropped into the timeline and the settings don't already match. If your version doesn't do that, I would recommend downloading the free MPEG Streamclip and use that to batch convert your original media to whatever the codec of your timeline inside of FCP is.

Posted from iPad, please excuse typos!

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Scott SheriffRe: APOCALYPSE NOW: Converting .mov into FCP files.
by on May 6, 2012 at 11:10:41 pm

Hi,
.mov, is just a container. We need to know whats in that container before we can help.
Odds are you have a non-editing codec in that container. Maybe h.264?

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Erick VegaRe: APOCALYPSE NOW: Converting .mov into FCP files.
by on May 7, 2012 at 11:00:07 am

I think you need to check the codec on your media, FCP is not very compatible with h.264 so you will need to convert those clips with MPEG stream clip,.
Good luck

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]