Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Blu-Ray on normal DVDs

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
brian patersonBlu-Ray on normal DVDs
by on Apr 29, 2012 at 10:51:42 pm

Hi, I make wedding videos and have had my first request for the finished film to be Blu-Ray. I don't possess a blu-ray burner and as I am closing my business and this will be my last job then I do not want to spend a lot of money on hardware I will never use again. I recently saw an article that said I can burn HD video to a normal DVD using toast with their Blu-ray disc plug in. Does anyone know anything about this.
My recorded footage is on: Sony Ex1 , shot- HQ 1920/50i, edited in FCP7, pro-res timeline. My computer is an iMac and I burn my DVDs on a sony external DVD writer.
My question is - does this really work and what quality could I expect. Also as everything seems to have it's pitfalls I wondered what they would be in this case. Any thoughts, advice or insight as to the working process on this would be much appreciated. Regards BRIAN

brian paterson

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Juan SalvoRe: Blu-Ray on normal DVDs
by on Apr 29, 2012 at 10:54:29 pm

Yes, Toast make an AVCHD disc. It can burn these onto a DVD5/9 and most players can handle it. As long as your content is short enough should work fine.

You can do the same thing through Compressor.

online editor | colorist | VFX | BD author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

brian patersonRe: Blu-Ray on normal DVDs
by on Apr 30, 2012 at 12:25:43 am

Thank you for Juan your reply. Do you know if the quality is as good as that of a blu-ray disc made with a dedicated burner. I normally only make DVDs using iDVD. I output a disc image which I use in conjunction with toast to burn the disc. Can I do the same with burning an AVCHD disc or do I have to output a blu-ray file first using something like compressor. Is there a recognized standard working practice that is best.
Finally how short should the content be to work fine. I read somewhere that a standard disc could hold up to 1hour but 40 minutes was the recommended max. after which quality would suffer.
Finally one last question - when I make a normal DVD from 50i footage I never deinterlace and on a normal television there are no jaggies. However, never having made a disc to be played on a blu-ray player to be shown on a high def television set I don't know how it will look if I do not deinterlace. Will I see jaggies if i do not deinterlace or will it be smoothed out in the same way that a normal TV does.
I would do some tests myself if I had a blue ray player and high def TV but sadly I do not.
Many Thanks BRIAN

brian paterson

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve EisenRe: Blu-Ray on normal DVDs
by on Apr 30, 2012 at 12:40:12 am

[brian paterson] "Do you know if the quality is as good as that of a blu-ray disc made with a dedicated burner"

No.

[brian paterson] "Finally how short should the content be to work fine"

20-30 minutes.

[brian paterson] "I would do some tests myself if I had a blue ray player and high def TV but sadly I do not"

Find someone that does.

"Fast Path to Blu-ray"
http://www.amazon.com/Fast-Path-Blu-ray-Bruce-Nazarian/dp/0970721854

Worst case scenario, create a "Digital Copy" for them for their iPad/iPhone/Computer.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

eric pautschRe: Blu-Ray on normal DVDs
by on Apr 30, 2012 at 7:27:56 pm

Expect playback to spotty if it plays at all on older Players. But since youre leaving the business who cares? :) Seriously, the best way would be to borrow or hire someone with a burner.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

brian patersonRe: Blu-Ray on normal DVDs
by on May 1, 2012 at 9:29:57 am

Thank you for the advice.
I don't know of any one who has a blu-ray burner but with some research I may be able get access to one.
Another thought regarding the toast plug in- will allow burning to a blue ray disc ( which obviously can hold a lot more information ) I can't find any information which says it won't do this, only info about burning to DVD.
Thanks once again. Brian

brian paterson

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]