Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

slow-mo??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Giuliano Bausanoslow-mo??
by on Apr 26, 2012 at 3:16:44 pm

hi everyone,
i wonder why FCP sometimes don't want to slow the speed of my clip as i want... it set speed to more/less then 22,3% or other similar close to 20% values.. anyway, if i can slow it, i often got a kind of strobing/scattering.. so my question is, do someone of you know how to do a VERY NICE and SMOOTH SLO-MO, i see a lot around VIMEO, please?

Thanks in advance.

ps: editing 5dmkii files.mov (mpeg streamclip) to prores

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: slow-mo??
by on Apr 26, 2012 at 3:52:20 pm

It's all about frame rates.

If you shoot real-live motion picture film at 60fps, then play it back at 24fps, it will be 2 1/2 times slower. If you process this film digitally to reconstruct a new frame between every existing frame, it will be 5 times slower... or 20%.

So to get smooth slo-mo, you need to shoot at 60p with your camera, edit in a 23.976 (aka 23.98) timeline and use frame rate conversion software like Twixtor to slow footage down by a factor of two, and everything should look fine.

Do you have other frame rates in mind?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Stephen SmithRe: slow-mo??
by on Apr 26, 2012 at 5:20:40 pm

If you are looking for a Free option instead of Twixtor check out Motion that comes with FCP7. It has an Optical Flow algorithm that is amazing. I shoot 60 fps footage all the time, bring it into Motion and change the speed to say 20% and change the frame blending to Optical Flow and most the time it turns out great. Both Twixtor and Optical Flow work better with steady footage that does't have thin lines in it.

The alternative to that is to shoot with a camera that can do even higher frame rates. Such as the Phantom Flex that can do 2,640fps at 1280 x 720. And by the way, renting or purchasing that camera is not cheap.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Giuliano BausanoRe: slow-mo??
by on Apr 26, 2012 at 9:02:03 pm

Thanks a lot Stephen, trying Twixtor demo and seems very good :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]