Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Getting different video in Canvas when I play, and different when I scrub through it - sometimes even black???

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
johnny cathcartGetting different video in Canvas when I play, and different when I scrub through it - sometimes even black???
by on Apr 20, 2012 at 3:51:34 pm

I have a clip on my timeline - when I play through it, the canvas shows me a different clip. When I rest my playhead on it, it shows the right clip. Some other clips, it will do that, or the clip is there when I rest on it or scrub through it, but when I play through it it's black!!! - AHHHHH What is going on?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: Getting different video in Canvas when I play, and different when I scrub through it - sometimes even black???
by on Apr 20, 2012 at 5:28:08 pm

What corrective actions have you already taken?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

johnny cathcartRe: Getting different video in Canvas when I play, and different when I scrub through it - sometimes even black???
by on Apr 20, 2012 at 7:47:08 pm

It seems the only thing that does help is if I close FCP and start it up again. Then it's good for a little while until I start cutting and moving again. I'll make an edit, and (this only happens sometimes) when I park my playhead on a clip, or drag through it - it's the right edit I made. But when I actually play it, I get a different image in the canvas, usually an image that was in that spot before. Sometimes I'll play it and my canvas will turn black, like nothing is there?

I checked to make sure all of the sequence settings are correct with the clip settings -and that's good - so totally mind boggled.

-Johnny

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: Getting different video in Canvas when I play, and different when I scrub through it - sometimes even black???
by on Apr 20, 2012 at 8:02:30 pm

Next steps to take are in order, move to the next if the current one doesn't work:

Shut down machine & start up.
Repair permissions: it's part of the OS.
Trash FCP Preferences.
Reinstall Final Cut Suite & run all updates.

Problems like yours also happen if you change operating systems and simply run the upgrade instead of doing a total clean install. If you did upgrade the OS, you now know what you have to do next.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bret WilliamsRe: Getting different video in Canvas when I play, and different when I scrub through it - sometimes even black???
by on Apr 20, 2012 at 10:37:01 pm

Can I suggest 1.5- delete all your render files in render manager.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alan OkeyRe: Getting different video in Canvas when I play, and different when I scrub through it - sometimes even black???
by on Apr 20, 2012 at 10:42:46 pm

What is your footage and sequence setting codec? If it's h.264, that's your problem.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

johnny cathcartRe: Getting different video in Canvas when I play, and different when I scrub through it - sometimes even black???
by on Apr 21, 2012 at 7:59:28 pm

H.264 - 1920 / 1080 - Editing timebase 23.98 0- Pixel Aspect Square
Everything on the sequence and clip settings are matching. But yeah - when I quit and reopen Final Cut, it goes a way for a bit. But when after I start messing with clips again... it starts doing it again.

-Johnny

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David Roth WeissRe: Getting different video in Canvas when I play, and different when I scrub through it - sometimes even black???
by on Apr 21, 2012 at 8:07:15 pm

[johnny cathcart] "H.264 - 1920 / 1080 - Editing timebase 23.98 0- Pixel Aspect Square"

A simple search on this forum would yield a few thousand posts that would indicate that h.264 is not an editing codec that's useable in FCP.

You must transcode your material to a "realtime FCP codec" such as ProRes 422 before editing.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com
http://www.ProMax.com
Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 21, 2012 at 8:49:44 pm

Ok thanks. It was footage from a DSLR that came in as H264 - I can change that next time? - Can I change it all now? - in the middle of the project?

-Johnny

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David Roth WeissRe: Getting different video in Canvas when I play, and different when I scrub through it - sometimes even black???
by on Apr 21, 2012 at 9:13:50 pm

[johnny cathcart] "Ok thanks. It was footage from a DSLR that came in as H264"

Yep, that's all too common... And, because FCP does not immediately reject that material, many like you proceed until they hit the wall, just as you've now found out for yourself.

[johnny cathcart] "Can I change it all now? - in the middle of the project?"

You really need to transcode every clip now and recut what you've done ASAP by eyeball matching. If you don't, you will find yourself in a much worse position as you progress. Trying to export what you're seeing on the timeline will become harder to do, if not impossible, because FCP can't crunch the numbers of h.264 correctly as the length and complexity of the timeline grows.

Create a Droplet using Compressor - make sure to test it on a single clip until it's perfect - then use that to batch all of your clips to ProRes 422. The file size of the ProRes clips will be much large, so give yourself lots of gigabytes. But, you'll find that with ProRes you'll have none of the strange behaviors you're getting now, and renders should be much faster too, in spite of the larger files.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 21, 2012 at 9:37:07 pm

Thank you. Very valuable info I did not know. Will transcode every time now.

-Johnny

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 22, 2012 at 1:19:32 am

YVW! Always nice to hear a thank you. :)

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]