Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Master Prores to HDCAM-SR Textless Timecode!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
alex diazMaster Prores to HDCAM-SR Textless Timecode!
by on Apr 12, 2012 at 10:28:24 pm

Hello, I'm working trial by fire to deliver all the master materials for delivery of a movie.

I'll have a prores copy of my movie to export to HDCAM-SR. The distributors want the titles to be in for the movie, but then after the movie, I need clips of the shots with text removed, easy enough. The tricky part is that the timecode of those clips needs to match the timecode of the original clips in the movie.

I have a company that does the transfer to tape for me, so I'm guessing I can't do it all in one sequence and change the timecode again and again right?

I'm guessing what I will have to do is have the movie as one prores file, and then each clip as it's own prores file with adjusted time code? If I have them put that to one tape, the timecode will automatically adjust to the current video they are importing?

Sorry, hope this makes sense, this whole process is very overwhelming (don't even get me started on the paperwork...) I tried searching online, but there's no definitive guides I can find for starting out with deliveries.

Any help would be appreciated.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: Master Prores to HDCAM-SR Textless Timecode!
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 12:31:39 am

[alex diaz] "The tricky part is that the timecode of those clips needs to match the timecode of the original clips in the movie."

Uh, what? Never heard of that. I have delivered hundreds of TV shows, with textless elements at the tail, or full second outputs that are fully textless, I have never heard of this. The only way that my textless elements match the timecode of the texted is on the second, textless output. WHen we include textless elements at the tail of the show, they just continue with the timecode on the tape. We include logs as for what clip goes where in the show, timecode wise, and often add a slate at the head of the shot to say the same. But the ACTUAL timecode on the tape where they exist doesn't match that of the clip where it is in the show. That's IMPOSSIBLE to do.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nick PriceRe: Master Prores to HDCAM-SR Textless Timecode!
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 3:39:01 pm

Hi Alex,
if that is what they're really asking (and i'm not sure it is), then the only sensible way is to make a new timeline without text and put that on a new tape, same timecode etc..

cheers
nick

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

alex diazRe: Master Prores to HDCAM-SR Textless Timecode!
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 4:17:38 pm

Hey guys thanks for the responses, and yeah it does sound crazy, that's why I needed to come here haha!

Here's exactly what the agreement says:

The video master will include textless backgrounds for all main and end titles and any area of the feature where text or graphics appear over picture. Textless material to be placed at the tail of the program 60 seconds after end credits. Timecode of textless material must match timecode of the texted material on the master.

If I was wrong on understanding the language let me know. Again thanks for any help!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: Master Prores to HDCAM-SR Textless Timecode!
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 5:01:52 pm

That's what it says alright. I don't know how to provide that. It's a really odd request. And I've delivered dozens of shows with these elements for Discovery Channel, History...Nat Geo.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael AranyshevRe: Master Prores to HDCAM-SR Textless Timecode!
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 5:31:14 pm

It is doable. You either record to tape in insert mode or prestripe the tape with several TC starting points on the same tape.

Keep in mind though that a VTR needs preroll and postroll. So make your QT movies with plenty of padding before and after the shots. I'd do 10 sec and add whatever needed to get to a round TC.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph OwensRe: Master Prores to HDCAM-SR Textless Timecode!
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 6:09:56 pm

[alex diaz] "Timecode of textless material must match timecode of the texted material on the master. "

This is very imprecise language, which I'm seeing more and more of in various deliverables contracts.

It could mean that the frame rate needs to be the same... it might mean at least the frame number must be the same..., but I have never been asked to replicate the exact same Hrs:Mn:Sec:Fr for textless over my entire career. I have been asked to provide visual time code in "handles" leading up to the textless element, I have been asked for one-second handles, clip-before+clip-after, guide audio... entirely textless masters, you name it otherwise.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]