Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

.mov Won't Open but Has File Size

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Jessica Muth.mov Won't Open but Has File Size
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 6:40:32 pm

Hi Everyone,

I wasn't sure where to post this since there is not fourm for just Quicktime .mov, so I picked the closest thing.

I have mutliple .mov that are of various file sizes, ranging from 30 MB to over 200 MB. These files will NOT open in any software. I have tried these software:

Quicktime Player Pro 7 (Mac & PC)
Quicktime Player X
MPEG Stream Clip (Mac & PC)
VLC Player (Mac & PC)
Final Cut Pro 7
Adobe Premiere Pro 5.5 (Mac)
Sony Vegas HD 10
Avid Media Composer 5 (Mac)
Windows Movie Maker
Windows Media Player
ConverterLite
Arcosft MediaImpression HD

I have tried to opent the file in VLC Player to read a codec type and this is what I get:

It also says the duration is 00:00, but the file size, again ranges from 30 MB to 200 MB.

I have also received a video file that the person was able to "fix" from one of the original files that won't open. It is a Ambarella AVC Encoder. I can get this file to play Final Cut, Premiere, VLC Player, Quicktime, etc. This is the file that works:

What stumps me is that on the Quicktime Player Pro 7 inspector, it states "Kodak Zi8 Pocket Video Camera." I have researched that when the Zi8 cameras first came out (and if they are still around, I don't know because I don't keep track of this) that Kodak had users use the software Arcosoft MediaImpression. So I downloaded this software and tried to import the footage and that doesn't work.

I have also tried just changing the extension to .mpeg or .avi just to see if the obvious would trigger something, and nothing. I receive no information in Windows Explorer or Finder regarding the file specs.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get these files to work? The client did somehow, but they, of course, don't know what they did and they don't have the original camera to provide us to research even more.

Any help would be great appreciated.

Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: .mov Won't Open but Has File Size
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 6:52:17 pm

If the client can still read the files properly, he/she could convert them to quicktime movies in either the PNG or Animation codecs, both of which are available in Quicktime 7 for Windows.

Or get Flip4Mac to read them. There's a free tryout version. If it works, buy it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jessica MuthRe: .mov Won't Open but Has File Size
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 7:36:39 pm

Dave,

Thanks for the advice; however, my client apparently "doesn't know how he did it." So I can't go to him to have him convert it.

I have Flip4Mac Studio Pro HD installed and that doesn't read anything either. That does not read it because I would be able to open up the files that don't play in Quicktime Player Pro 7 and export as a WMV then.

Thanks anyway.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ryan HolmesRe: .mov Won't Open but Has File Size
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 8:14:08 pm

Can the client open them at all? Or did they just give you a bunch of files not knowing what works and what doesn't?

If they can open them in whatever program on their computer then you could export from their machine or do a screen capture....

It's also possible that the files he gave you are corrupt. At that point you're stuck as nothing can open them.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.com
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: .mov Won't Open but Has File Size
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 8:15:51 pm

I googled the term ambarella avc, and it appears that Go Pro cameras can use the codec.

There may be some useful stuff of Go Pro's support page:
http://gopro.com/support/

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

steve henryRe: .mov Won't Open but Has File Size
by on Apr 18, 2012 at 4:46:24 pm

Hi..
The .mov file cannot open if it is corrupted and you need to repair mov file by using mov repair software. By using this software I was able to repair corrupt video file and it is very easy to use. So, you can download this software to repair .mov file.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard RexRe: .mov Won't Open but Has File Size
by on May 10, 2012 at 2:07:33 am

try repair mov mac and go through the potential of software to solve your problem which you can also download the trial version.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard RexRe: .mov Won't Open but Has File Size
by on May 10, 2012 at 2:10:56 am

try repair mov mac and go through the potential of software to solve your problem which you can also download the trial version.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

mick rostyRe: .mov Won't Open but Has File Size
by on Dec 29, 2012 at 8:17:49 am

.mov file won't open, but it occupies file size then you files is not deleted or corrupted completely, To solve this problem you need to repair them, after repairing again this file can be played. and in this case MOV Recovery tool will help you, for more detail visit http://repair.movrecovery.net

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John MethewRe: .mov Won't Open but Has File Size
by on Jan 17, 2013 at 7:11:28 pm

Hi,
You can repair the corrupt .mov file very easily. Then you will be able to open the .mov file. A few days back I also repaired .mov file Mac. Needy one can download here.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]