Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Can a PC read Quicktime files off a Mac formatted portable HD??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Jason FlorCan a PC read Quicktime files off a Mac formatted portable HD??
by on Apr 10, 2012 at 9:40:49 pm

The Director I'm working with wants to screen the QuickTime files I have made and put on a MAC formatted portable hard drive. He has a PC Laptop with Quicktime Pro7 for Windows.. Will he be able to screen the QT's using the portable drive?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael GissingRe: Can a PC read Quicktime files off a Mac formatted portable HD??
by on Apr 10, 2012 at 9:45:33 pm

Yep. All he needs to do is install MacDrive software on the PC to read the Mac formatted drive. Also make sure he has an up to date version of quicktime so that he has Prores codecs if that is what you are using. H264 will work and be easy to play of a USB drive.

ProRes will not play smoothly off a USB drive depending on frame size and frame rate. You can test the drive speed with free speed test software from AJA or Blackmagic.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: Can a PC read Quicktime files off a Mac formatted portable HD??
by on Apr 10, 2012 at 10:04:04 pm

HDV, DVCPRO HD, XDCAM....they will have issues unless they get special decoders.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jason FlorRe: Can a PC read Quicktime files off a Mac formatted portable HD??
by on Apr 10, 2012 at 10:27:33 pm

The Quicktimes are RED camera files Transcoded to Prores 4444.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael GissingRe: Can a PC read Quicktime files off a Mac formatted portable HD??
by on Apr 10, 2012 at 10:45:49 pm

The drive will need esata for that codec. I presume the frame size is 2k or at least 1920. Not sure if the Prores codecs for Win includes 4444.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]