Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Final cut Pro X on a mini?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Richard CaliFinal cut Pro X on a mini?
by on Apr 10, 2012 at 4:29:36 am

I'm a recent graduate considering doing some freelancing; no idea what type of projects or footage I might have yet, though.  I'd like to know how well Final Cut X performs on a Mac mini based on work some of you have done with it.    

I'm on a budget, balancing cost, performance and convenience. I'd still have to buy a monitor, most likely a new keyboard and possibly even a new mouse.  Depending on what those cost I might be approaching the $1199 mark for the cheapest MacBook Pro, but the drawback for that being the 13'' screen size, so a larger monitor with the mini may be the better choice. 

Thoughts or suggestions on getting the mini versus a MacBook?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Philip HoweRe: Final cut Pro X on a mini?
by on Apr 10, 2012 at 9:01:05 am

I think you'll have problems with the graphics card - we have a MacMini that we use for accounts and internet work, it happens to have an old version of FCP on it, theoretically so that I can open old Project files and convert/work on them but the last time I tried I was greeted with a message that the App could not work on this computer because "AGP" was missing - that's a reference to the graphics card.
I'm pretty sure that you can't change the card but you do have an option - swap to a MacBookPro - same processors but Graphics card Optimised to run FCS (my non expert language - please forgive).
Then use the rest of your budget to get a small Reference monitor for accurate colour grading and effects, and the adaptor needed for the MacBook to plug into the monitor.

philip

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]