Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Need OMF Export to retrieve Production Audio from Merged Clips!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Adrian MakaiNeed OMF Export to retrieve Production Audio from Merged Clips!
by on Apr 7, 2012 at 3:09:48 am

Hello,

I've searched the Final Cut manual and asked my post contacts but no luck - hoping someone here knows this stuff...

I am editing a feature. The assistant editor had created merged clips in the timeline, linking various production audio to camera takes. I spent a few months editing, no problem. But now that I am finally ready to export everything for post, I can't get the OMF export to source the original production audio! Instead, it exports the merged audio that has the merged file names, e.g. "a1_004merged" instead of "SC_23BT02_1.WAV"

My sound guy desperately needs the original production audio files in the OMF, otherwise he would have to hand-sync everything in ProTools with the original production audio files.

When I click on the audio track of a merged clip in Final Cut and choose "reveal in finder" it correctly shows me the production audio file(s) - so the link is clearly there.

How do I convert the audio tracks of my entire feature back to the individual production audio files so that the OMF export contains said files? Or is there some other process I should be doing?

Any help much appreciated!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: Need OMF Export to retrieve Production Audio from Merged Clips!
by on Apr 7, 2012 at 5:02:48 am

That IS the original production audio. It is just named "merged" as it is part of a merged file. But that should be the original WAV. Did you listen to it?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Adrian MakaiRe: Need OMF Export to retrieve Production Audio from Merged Clips!
by on Apr 7, 2012 at 7:05:35 am

Thanks for the feedback and yes, I realize the audio content is the same but I need the file names to also be the same.

The reason is that the sound guy will often want to choose an alternate sound take than what was in the Final Cut timeline (for e.g. using the boom source for a given clip instead of the lav source). The assistant editor mostly merged the video with lav mic audio and in post sound we are probably going to use more boom audio.

Sound guy explained that it would make his life *much* easier if I could give him an OMF that included the correct names for all the production audio. Is there an easy way to do this?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matt LyonRe: Need OMF Export to retrieve Production Audio from Merged Clips!
by on Apr 7, 2012 at 7:25:33 pm

Hey Adrian,

Your post made me curious because I may have to do this as well in the near future. I was able to arrive at a solution with a quick test. You may be able to arrive at the same result with a different set of steps, but this is what worked in my project:

1. Duplicate your locked timeline. Delete all video layers
2. Select all you audio clips and select "make independent."
3. Media manage this sequence. Select "use existing media," and "duplicate and put in new project." (also uncheck "include master clips outside selection").
4. Once your new project opens, select all items in the FCP browser. Then select "MODIFY>RENAME>CLIP TO MATCH FILE."

now your clips in your timeline should be renamed to match the audio file names.

hth,

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Adrian MakaiRe: Need OMF Export to retrieve Production Audio from Merged Clips!
by on Apr 7, 2012 at 7:44:21 pm

Hey Matt,

That worked! Thanks a bunch. I don't think I would have ever figured that out! :-)

-Adrian

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael AranyshevRe: Need OMF Export to retrieve Production Audio from Merged Clips!
by on Apr 7, 2012 at 7:47:55 pm

Call your assistant and tell him to rename every merged clip according to the slate in the Browser. The names in the cut would change accordingly unless you made them independent.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]