Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

No audio when laying to tape

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Richard CullenNo audio when laying to tape
by on Mar 7, 2012 at 4:27:10 pm

Hi

Recently been having trouble laying audio to tape. Bars & Tone go down fine, picture is fine, but as soon as the main program starts audio either doesn't go to tape or drops out after around 30 seconds. I can hear it and when it does go down to tape I can see audio meters on the deck until it drops off. Weirdly, if I scrub the tape back I can hear audio being scrubbed, but as soon as I play normally or try to capture, no audio. Using FCP7 and Kona3 with a Sony M2000. I've tried everything I can think of but had no luck resolving. I've emailed AJA support but yet to hear back from them.

I've managed to lay this sequence to tape before but no longer so it's not a sequence problem.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jerry HofmannRe: No audio when laying to tape
by on Mar 7, 2012 at 4:38:19 pm

Post your sequence settings and the Kona 3 control panel settings.

Also post the source material's properties. MP3's in there? or? Video was shot what format etc...?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard CullenRe: No audio when laying to tape
by on Mar 7, 2012 at 4:51:24 pm

Sequence settings is PAL anamorphic uncompressed 8bit, audio 48khz
Source material is pal uncompressed 8bit, audio is 48khz wav. everything rendered

AJA Control panel, genlock is freerun, primary format is 625i25, video input source SDI, audio embedded ch 1-16

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 7, 2012 at 5:05:13 pm

Looks right to me... might try resetting the Kona Card, and triple check the cables so that you know they are tight.

Jerry

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 7, 2012 at 5:06:36 pm

how do I go about resetting the kona card? I've tried trashing all the preferences as suggest on AJA's website but to no avail.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 7, 2012 at 5:16:10 pm

My Bad... I meant reSEATing... open the mac after you turn it off, take the card out, blow in some compressed air if you have it, and then put the card back in.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: No audio when laying to tape
by on Mar 7, 2012 at 5:35:47 pm

What I find odd is that Bars and Tone are fine...you hear audio then, right? But not program audio. Look at your sequence settings, audio mapping. Is anything mapped to different tracks that 1-4?

Just a shot in the dark

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Mark SuszkoRe: No audio when laying to tape
by on Mar 7, 2012 at 5:40:55 pm

What kind of deck are you recording to, and what are the settings on THAT?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 7, 2012 at 5:52:51 pm

a Sony M2000. What settings shall I look at? There are many, but again nothing has changed or should have been changed since I last laid to tape, though granted that was probably months ago now.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 7, 2012 at 5:51:56 pm

whoops somehow marked your response as solution Shane

Yeah hear audio fine, program audio as well, just it isn't being laid to tape. sequence settings and audio mapping is how it should be. This is just a new tape of a sequence I've already laid to tape so nothing has changed since then.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 7, 2012 at 6:01:30 pm

Is this problem the same on all sequences from other projects etc?

Jerry

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 7, 2012 at 6:03:51 pm

this is the third project I've tried. It happened on new project that hadn't been laid to tape before so we thought we might have some issue with the audio file used, but the 3 projects I've tested have all successfully gone to tape before. I'm the only person who uses this machine and the deck so nothing should have been changed. I blame the cleaner.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave LaRondeRe: No audio when laying to tape
by on Mar 7, 2012 at 7:05:33 pm

Try doing an audio mixdown on the seauence if you haven't done so already.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark SuszkoRe: No audio when laying to tape
by on Mar 7, 2012 at 8:02:34 pm

I won't cop to how many times in my career, a frustrating problem turned out to be something like accidentally hitting a record inhibit setting on a deck, or not noticing that it was in composite input instead of SDI.

I think your problem is pilot error but you have built up a perceptual blind spot as to what it is, because it is too obvious, and your impatient brain is skipping over what your eye is telling you. I know that's often the case when I make a mistake.

Changing perspective or order of operations might help. Run your checklist of tasks out loud and physically put your finger on every button, every menu setting, say it out loud, don't just assume it. "It's supposed to say THIS; does it indeed say that?"

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John ChristieRe: No audio when laying to tape
by on Mar 8, 2012 at 6:37:16 am

Sounds like a deck reference problem. What are the channel condition lights doing on your deck? Not familiar with the 2000 but used to have this problem all the time with a digibeta deck if the output of the deck is going back into the kona card while outputting. The condition lights on the deck would always be red when this happened and you would hear random bits of audio. Disconnect any inputs to the kona and try again.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 8, 2012 at 9:55:42 am

Dave - audio mixdown doesn't make a difference

John - channel condition light is always green. Am planning of having a spring clean of the suite at the weekend and sorting out the mess of cables under my desk so will double check all connections then.

Mark - I've doubled checked all project settings and made new projects and sequences from scratch, done everything I normally would do when laying to tape. I've gone through everything I can on the digi itself and in the Kona control panel and to my eyes everything is how it should be. Unless there is a setting that has been changed somewhere that I've never seen or knew about.

I just don't see how bars & tone can go down fine perfectly every time but its the main program audio thats the problem. AJA suggested a reset of the PRAM so will give that a whirl.

Thanks for everyones help on this.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John ChristieRe: No audio when laying to tape
by on Mar 8, 2012 at 5:11:17 pm

Richard

The fact that you can here the audio when scrubbing or jogging through the tape indicates a deck problem. Try doing the output again with only the SDI cable going to the deck, no outputs, no reference, no monitors.

Cheers

John

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dennis LeppellRe: No audio when laying to tape
by on Mar 8, 2012 at 9:21:37 pm

I concur....the first thing that came to mind was it's either the deck or the tape. Scrubbing sound means something was put down. I'm putting my money on a bad tape. Reload and try again.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 9, 2012 at 9:40:08 am

3 tapes from two different boxes. will try with only the SDI going to the deck.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 8, 2012 at 1:03:38 pm

Man does your post sound familiar!!! LOL!!!!

Jerry

Current DVD:

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 8, 2012 at 1:24:05 pm

setting the PRAM hasn't helped :(

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chase WrennRe: No audio when laying to tape
by on Mar 9, 2012 at 9:55:07 pm

Something random but if nothing else has worked, why not give it a shot?

Try converting the .wav files to .mov, then re-align and edit to tape.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 21, 2012 at 9:45:25 am

so still having this problem, AJA haven't been able to help. Noted that a full minute of bars+tone will go down fine then no program audio but if i then do an insert of just the program I get 35seconds of audio every time before it drops out.

I've done a complete clean install of the machine, only final cut pro and kona 3 plugins running. everything is cabled correctly.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]