Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

CAN'T Capture HDV footage into Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Craig AmabelloCAN'T Capture HDV footage into Final Cut Pro
by on Mar 5, 2012 at 8:03:15 pm

Hello all... I HOPE Someone can help with my 1 week of Headaches Attempting to Resolve this Frustrating Problem...

I am running:

FinalCutPro 7.0.3

on a MacBook Pro 2.3 Ghz Core i7... 8 Gigs of Ram ... OSX Lion 10.7.3

connected to a SONY HVR-M25U Deck via a 4 pin to 9 pin FIREWIRE into my Port on Laptop...

The FOOTAGE was shot in HDV Format on Sony DVCAM Tape...

HERE'S MY PROBLEM:

In Final Cut EASY SET-UP... I put in DV-NTSC Codec and Final Cut can SEE THE DECK and actually CONTROL the deck as well...

When I try to capture footage using this set-up (Even though I actually don't really want to use this setting because I am dealing with HDV footage)... I get this ERROR: (This Operation could not be completed as there is no video)... ALSO... on the bottom of the actual PREVIEW screen it says: Device must be in VTR Mode when device control is enabled...

But when I tell Final Cut Pro in the EASY SET-UP that I want to use HDV ... Or... HD Setting... IT CAN NO LONGER SEE OR CONTROL THE DECK!

I get this ERROR Message: Unable to Initialize Capture Device. Device not connected or Capture Preset is not set up correctly...

(I have TRIED EVERY Codec Set-up Different combinations ect)...

I AM BAFFLED!... Have I Lost My Mind?... I have been editing and Using FCP since DAY ONE and this seems like a Problem for a Beginner... I am actually ASHAMED and EMBARRASSED that I am actually going to Lose a Client over this!

I am DESPERATE for any advice or HELP from someone who has dealt with this Issue themselves

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Neil PatienceRe: CAN'T Capture HDV footage into Final Cut Pro
by on Mar 5, 2012 at 8:47:41 pm

It sounds like you may have a combination of minor erors here.
If you have HDV footage and you are using firewire then you should use the HDV easy set up and not the DV one.
Next make sure that the deck is not set to down convert HDV to DVCam or DV.
I think this is on the iLink setting of the output menu but I am not totally familiar witht htat deck but thats the usual protocol for Sony decks.

Once you have the deck in HDV format and the HDV easy set up selected you should find all will be OK

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig AmabelloRe: CAN'T Capture HDV footage into Final Cut Pro
by on Mar 5, 2012 at 11:50:00 pm

Thank you very much Neil... MORE New Info that I desperately need!... BUT I had Already solved my problem... I read a post here where the guy said with HDV footage he has just by DEFAULT always put a tape into the deck... Pressed the PLAY button... and THEN... Fired up Final Cut Pro... Everything WORKS!... (He stated that Final Cut Pro can get Confused as to wether its seeing a SD signal or a HD signal and if you just put the tape in and start it playing BEFORE you Launch Final Cut Pro... when it gets Launched... FCP will KNOW what kind of SIGNAL its Receiving and everything will work... AND IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM FOR ME!

BUT THANXS FOR YOUR ADDITIONAL INFO as well.

Sincerely,

Craig Amabello

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]