Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

OT - RAID Question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Wayne MarxOT - RAID Question
by on Feb 22, 2012 at 9:37:24 am

Hi,

Sorry if I'm asking in the wrong place.

I don't have the budget for an external [or internal] RAID 5 unit, or similar.

So, my plan is to do the following:

I have 4 x 1TB drives inside my Mac Pro. 1 TB is for the OS, etc. 3 TB's are for data.

I plan to use the 3TB's and make them RAID O.

I have a 3TB External FW drive that will be connected to the Mac at all times which, I run set ChronoSync to run a backup 2 times a day.

This way I can [ostensibly] get the sped benefit of a RAID, and I'll have to be diligent with my backups in case one of the RAID drives fail.

Make sense? Or am I doing something foolish?

Thanks,

Wayne

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rafael AmadorRe: OT - RAID Question
by on Feb 22, 2012 at 1:44:58 pm

[Wayne Marx] "I plan to use the 3TB's and make them RAID O."
Hi wayne,
I may be wrong, but I think that RAID-0 works with two HDs writing half of the data on each driver.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom MatthiesRe: OT - RAID Question
by on Feb 22, 2012 at 2:48:27 pm

I believe that the RAID 0 configuration is not just limited to two drives. I still run an older Ciprico RAID (it just won't die!) that has five drives configured as RAID 0.

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Wayne MarxRe: OT - RAID Question
by on Feb 22, 2012 at 3:05:08 pm

Thanks Guys for taking the time to answer...

So Tom, I should be good to go.

Any gotchas?

W

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David Roth WeissRe: OT - RAID Question
by on Feb 22, 2012 at 3:59:29 pm

[Rafael Amador] "I may be wrong, but I think that RAID-0 works with two HDs writing half of the data on each drive"

That's actually RAID-1, which mirrors drive 1 to drive 2, thus creating redundancy.

RAID-0 is a group of drives all striped together for max throughput, but no protection or redundancy. You can stripe as many drives as you'd like, with theoretical throughput going up with every drive added - i.e. four drives striped together as RAID-0 have nearly 4X the throughput of a single drive.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com
http://www.ProMax.com

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 22, 2012 at 7:10:25 pm

David,

Thanks a lot.

Coming from you, I'll take that as the final word ;)

All the best,

Wayne

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 23, 2012 at 8:31:02 am

David,

One last question:

Does it matter if I'm using different drive brands [ie, Seagate, Hitachi], and different sizes, [ie, 1TB & 2TB]?

Again, this is for a software RAID 0 inside the Mac Pro.

Thanks,

Wayne

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Thomas Morter-LaingRe: OT - RAID Question
by on Feb 23, 2012 at 9:23:49 am

Yes it does, even if theyre the same size, different drives have different ways of working and different levels of cache etc- it may be fine but may go VERY slow. I would get 3 of the same drive.

Tom Morter-Laing
Twitter- @TomTheEditor

Equipment (not for 'bragging', but in case it's relevant to future posts :D): Canon 7D, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 3.4GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD 6970M [2GB GDDR5], 2x G-Tech G-RAID (0) 2TB over Thunderbolt via Sonnet Echo ExpressCard/34 Thunderbolt adapter and Tempo™ SATA ExpressCard/34. Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 23, 2012 at 10:00:12 am

Thanks a lot - that complicates things a little for me, but it's good to know.

Tx,

W

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 23, 2012 at 2:45:26 pm

[Thomas Morter-Laing] "Yes it does, even if theyre the same size, different drives have different ways of working and different levels of cache etc- it may be fine but may go VERY slow. I would get 3 of the same drive."

Yes, Thomas is correct. Identical drives should always be used in a RAID configuration. And, that means identical in every way... Same brand, same specs, and same size.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 24, 2012 at 8:07:44 am

Thank you to all who contributed to this helpful thread.

Wayne

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 23, 2012 at 1:40:09 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "RAID-0 is a group of drives all striped together for max throughput, but no protection or redundancy. You can stripe as many drives as you'd like, with theoretical throughput going up with every drive added - i.e. four drives striped together as RAID-0 have nearly 4X the throughput of a single drive."
Today I learnt something new.
Perhaps because the all the drivers i have with RAID-0 are dual disk, I thought that that was the only way to set it.
rafael

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 23, 2012 at 2:43:07 pm

[Rafael Amador] "I thought that that was the only way to set it."

RAID-1 is not something you'd typically want to use for editing anyway Rafa, it's too expensive (you only get 50% useable storage). It's better suited for things like copying SD or P2 cards in the field (because it essentially creates an instant backup), or for system drive redundancy as in the dedicated two-drive RAID-1 enclosure I reviewed here: http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Stardom-Pro-Review/1.

And, for the record, the big enclosures you see from all the manufacturers, which are typically configured as RAID-5 these days, could also be configured as RAID-0, just like your 2-drive enclosures from G-Tech, but RAID-5 protected storage has an advantage in that you are safe should any single drive fail. Plus, you only lose about 10% of your storage volume and little only a very slight performance hit in return for the protection you gain.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 24, 2012 at 9:46:57 am

I'm baaaack...

Another question, if I may:

I currently have 2 x 1TB Seagate Drives in my Mac Pro - Model: ST31000528AS
That drive is no longer available.

They now have a newer drive at the same spec, speed, buffer, etc but a different model number: ST31000524AS

Would I be ok to add the newer-same spec'd model, or do I have to replace all my drives with ones that are identical in every way?

Thanks,

Wayne

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Thomas Morter-LaingRe: OT - RAID Question
by on Feb 24, 2012 at 9:54:37 am

As long as the brand, speed, cache and capacity are the same, it should be fine in theory. It's normally fine anyway, but sometimes not- for example WD Black and Green drives; I think you can get them the same spec (ie cache and ALLEGED speed) but the green drives work very differently, and even though they WILL RAID together, they are pretty unreliable when you do (ie takes ages to get started etc). But you should be fine :)

Tom Morter-Laing
Twitter- @TomTheEditor

Equipment (not for 'bragging', but in case it's relevant to future posts :D): Canon 7D, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 3.4GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD 6970M [2GB GDDR5], 2x G-Tech G-RAID (0) 2TB over Thunderbolt via Sonnet Echo ExpressCard/34 Thunderbolt adapter and Tempo™ SATA ExpressCard/34. Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 24, 2012 at 9:57:50 am

Thanks Thomas,

Wayne

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 24, 2012 at 10:21:51 am

Hi David,
I use the RAID-0 just for editing (speed).
I keep all the stuff back up in different HDs.
I start to need something bigger but at the moment I'm waiting where the things are going.
I may end up working with PP on an HP, so time to take it easy and don't invest.
rafa

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]