Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

OT - Consumer Software for copying VHS tapes & Cassettes

COW Forums : Decks & VTRs

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Wayne MarxOT - Consumer Software for copying VHS tapes & Cassettes
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 8:26:13 am

Hi,

A friend of mine has an old G4 with Tiger and wants to use it to tranfer all of his old VHS, cassette & Betamax tapes to DVD.

Can anyone recommend a reliable software package that can handle all those formats?

He's got one of those USB IO analogue/digital converters - would he need anything else?
Anything special?

Thanks in advance,

Wayne

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: OT - Consumer Software for copying VHS tapes & Cassettes
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 8:56:09 am

[Wayne Marx] "Can anyone recommend a reliable software package that can handle all those formats?"

SOFTWARE? You need hardware. VHS deck, Betamax deck, whatever deck to play whatever tape format. And then, a DVD recorder. Connect the playback deck to the DVD recorder. Press play, press record. Done. No need for a computer in this.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Wayne MarxRe: OT - Consumer Software for copying VHS tapes & Cassettes
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 9:25:47 am

Hi Shane,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Yes, you're absolutely right - but he wants software so he can certain clips or check the levels coming in or whatever.

I believe there are lots of options for PC, but not sure about for Mac.

W

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rafael AmadorRe: OT - Consumer Software for copying VHS tapes & Cassettes
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 1:29:28 pm

As Shane said, no need of any software.
You need to capture trough hardware.
You can capture to a DVD, as Shane wrote, or get a DV card (Canopus, 100US$) and capture the stuff as DV through FW.

[Wayne Marx] "Yes, you're absolutely right - but he wants software so he can certain clips or check the levels coming in or whatever."
To control levels, you will need something more sophisticated (and expensive) than the Canopus.
Something like an AJA or BlackMagic. That or a VHS/BETAMAX player with a built in Proc Amp, that I don't think they exist.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris TompkinsRe: OT - Consumer Software for copying VHS tapes & Cassettes
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 2:38:10 pm

Straight to a set top DVD recorder would be the best. However, look up the old AJA iola. You can get em used, cheap. I have one if you want it.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark SuszkoRe: OT - Consumer Software for copying VHS tapes & Cassettes
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 4:20:12 pm

HE could capture as DV in imovie, using a converter like the ADVC-100, which you seems to be saying he already has. Capture to imovie, edit or modify sound levels, burn in iDVD or play out in real time to the DVD recorder everyone says is the better way to go.

I tend to agree that for this kind of thing, better and faster (on a budget) to get a sub-$100 tunerless DVD recorder deck and go machine-to-machine. Then, the individual DVD's could, if needed, be ripped in the computer using the free MPEG STREAMCLIP program, and from there, use imovie or quicktime pro to make some adjustments.

Roxio Toast is another alternative.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]