Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

1-hr tape only accepts 40 minutes of media from timeline when printing to video

COW Forums : Decks & VTRs

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
marsha lake1-hr tape only accepts 40 minutes of media from timeline when printing to video
by on Dec 21, 2011 at 3:52:38 am

I'm editing a historical doc and using SD media ingested from mini-DV NTSC 720x480 in FCP7. When printing to video (back to Sony mini-dv cassette) from the timeline a one-hour tape will only accept 40 minutes of media before it reaches the end of the tape. If the timeline is longer than 40 minutes, it won't output the remaining media from the timeline as the tape is full.

Client insists on having a copy of the output on tape and I'm not used to working with this format. Any help would be very much appreciated!!!

Of course, I'm on a major deadline..

Has anyone out there encountered this before?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Greg LeslieRe: 1-hr tape only accepts 40 minutes of media from timeline when printing to video
by on Dec 21, 2011 at 4:51:02 am

Your tape is probably labelled "DV," which will hold an hour of camcorder footage recorded in that format. Laying out from FCP via firewire is actually recording DVCAM, which uses more of the tape and runs it a third faster than DV to get better quality.

Your best choice is to find a supplier of DVCAM tapes. A 1-hour DVCAM tape holds a one-hour layout.

They make longer DV tapes, but I believe the longest is 83 minutes, which is still less than an hour at DVCAM speeds.

best of luck,

Greg Leslie
Tulsa

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

marsha lakeRe: 1-hr tape only accepts 40 minutes of media from timeline when printing to video
by on Dec 21, 2011 at 1:39:27 pm

thanks, Greg...I switched the input on the deck and am going to give it another try - you and Mark helped me get my focus off the FCP settings and look at the deck menu- so obvious, but just too much tunnel vision and too little sleep....you rock.
M

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark MoracheRe: 1-hr tape only accepts 40 minutes of media from timeline when printing to video
by on Dec 21, 2011 at 6:57:42 am

Marsha... that tape should work just fine for you, but you need a deck or camera that can record in minidv. It's basically the same ones and zeros that are coming through the firewire, it's just the deck.

Like Greg said, if the deck is set to record dvcam, you'll only get 40 minutes.

What are you recording on?

---------
FCX. She tempts me, abuses me, beats me up, makes me feel worthless, then in the end she comes around, helps me get my work done, gives me hope and I can't stop thinking about her.

Mark Morache
Avid/Xpri/FCP7/FCX
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

marsha lakeRe: 1-hr tape only accepts 40 minutes of media from timeline when printing to video
by on Dec 21, 2011 at 1:35:57 pm

Mark!
Thank you....turns out that when I lent the deck out the record input was switched to DvCam - your post triggered me to check and now I am going to try it again....bet it will work
I feel silly, but hey, running on no sleep here :)
appreciate your help !
M

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bret WilliamsRe: 1-hr tape only accepts 40 minutes of media from timeline when printing to video
by on Dec 21, 2011 at 5:46:15 pm

It's not the record input, it's the record format. Firewire is firewire and if you edited in a DV25 format, then that's how you want to get it on tape, via Firewire.

If you recorded DVCam on a miniDV, it's DVCam, but only sorta. It's kind of a mutant. DVCam is the exact same quality as miniDV, but the DVCam format means that you record at a higher tape speed (less chance of error on tape) and the audio is locked to video. Means it isn't supposed to drift. When you record DVCam on miniDV you don't get the locked audio part. Never have really figured out just what that means to us as editors in a nle world. Probably nothing.

DVCam tapes usually come in 42min, and their miniDV counterparts have 63 minutes in minDV, and 42 in DVCam.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 21, 2011 at 7:56:31 pm

Ok everyone... All is ok now- the deck is reset to record to miniDV tape DV SP via FireWire from the timeline and it is working fine

Brett, just to answer your question, the tapes were shot several years ago on miniDV tape in DV mode so I'm just preserving the original format for the client as they requested

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to respond.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]