Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Online and finishing

COW Forums : Decks & VTRs

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Danny DavisOnline and finishing
by on Dec 14, 2011 at 8:57:21 pm

Hi all,

I'm an online editor who started in the days of 1inch....pre rolling 6 vts I used to love it!
Then for me it was beta sp and onto digi beta then a few years onlining and grading on Symphony.

I built my FCP suite from the ground up around three years ago purely finishing.
I do a lot of blue screen (keylight), roto (Mocha) and grading (Resolve). I love the intergration of Motion
and do use it all the time.

I'm very interested to know the thoughts of other online editors who are in a similar situation to me.
What are you looking at as a replacement to FCP. I know better than anyone that it still has a place now and it will do for a while! Smoke, Premiere pro, media composer? FCP X????

Danny.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: Online and finishing
by on Dec 14, 2011 at 9:54:07 pm

Finishing? Depends on what the offline was done with. FCP Legacy (6-7)...I'll still use COLOR and FCP 7. Avid MC...then over to Symphony if I do it myself. DaVinci if I hire someone else. Smoke...flame...if the budget calls for it. Personally, I have FCP/COlor and Symphony with the Artist MC Color panel.

If an adobe project comes my way, then Premiere with Colorista 2...or AE with Colorista 2.

FCX? As a finishing tool? Hahahahahahahahaahahaa! I needed that...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sam ColeRe: Online and finishing
by on Dec 14, 2011 at 11:10:30 pm

[Shane Ross] "FCX? As a finishing tool? Hahahahahahahahaahahaa! I needed that..."

What Shane is saying is that FCPX is a toy, and will be for sometime yet; it shouldn't even rate, even PPro is better than it and that is really saying something.

We still use FCP 7/Color for all our international work but are slowly converting over to MC 6.

(ps. I go way back to 2" editing, and then some!)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Danny DavisRe: Online and finishing
by on Dec 14, 2011 at 11:57:02 pm

Hi again,

When you say mc 6....are you saying you could you this as a finishig tool with whatever plug ins you need to do the job? Or is it a very much scaled down symphony nitres.

Thanks.
Danny.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: Online and finishing
by on Dec 15, 2011 at 12:04:48 am

I can, and have, finished in Avid Media Composer. Quite often. Then sent the project and media to a Symphony for output. But I have also finished in Symphony.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sam ColeRe: Online and finishing
by on Dec 15, 2011 at 11:12:50 pm

[Danny Davis] "When you say mc 6....are you saying you could you this as a finishig tool with whatever plug ins you need to do the job?"

Yes. We have MC 6 connected to a Blackmagic Multibridge Extreme and use it exactly the same way we use FCP 7.
The only difference is the way we send it to Color for grading.
We do all our audio post in Nuendo via OMF export and always have.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]